Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The "Transplant List Dance Redux. The 2014 Edition.", edition.

iPad shuffled to "Nights Over Egypt", Incognito.  I looked for the version by The Jones Girls, but I could only find a live version by Jean Varne, Sherelle and Shirley Jones.  I didn't like it. There were several versions listed.   I liked Incognito the best.  It's. Faster pace, but the voices rock!

Yesterday I visited DMC-Harper Hospital.   It was time to get the annual transplant eligibility test.  It was pretty much the same song and dance as last year.  I was interviewed by 2 nurses.  Asking the same questions.  Get blood samples.  At least they took only 4 vials, instead of 12. Lol. Of course I come to treatment today and my clinic wants some blood also.  Anyway.  We met with the same social worker as last year. Brian signs up again as my caretaker if I get a transplant. It was interesting to compare my answers to questions a year later. 

"Hey There Lonely Girl", Eddie Holman.  "...  no one can kiss your lips the way I will..."  He has a helluva voice.  Uh oh. The iPad is kicking out the jams. Followed Eddie Holman with Al Green. :-).  Back to the hospital. The final visitor is the transplant doctor.  The appointment paperwork indicates my appointment is with the doctor I saw last year, but I got another doctor instead. I must say that both docs were intrigued with my Acute Intermittent Porphyria (see link below). But this doc had actually treated patients with it.  However he has never done a transplant with an AIP patient. For the record, I haven't had an episode for at least 30 years.  But doc is aware and is prepared to make sure I wouldn't have an episode post transplant.  We talked about kidney issues and transplant in my family.  And how my diagnosis of porphyria connected the dots of the family medical history.  Remember, I have an aunt with AIP whose kidneys failed about the same time as mine.  

 The doc knows my nephrologist. He also knows my primary care physician. Seeing how there are a cartload of doctors in the metropolitan area, I'm impressed.  Anyway, long story short, I should continue my activation on the transplant list.  I do need to take a mammogram again and another pap smear again.  Apparently I'll have to take those tests yearly from now on. ;-(    At least the colonoscopy, endocardiogram, and stress tests don't have to be repeated....for a while. (No colonoscopy-yay!!!! Lol). 

"Fall in Love, Lady Love", The Dramatics. If I recall correctly, this was on the  "Whatcha See is Whatcha Get" album. I wore.that.album.out!!!   Doc also discussed live donation. This is optimal. Brian will start the testing process.  I had another potential donor, but doc said he was too old.  Apparently I don't want used up kidneys.  Lol. The potential donor was over 70. :)  I appreciate the gesture very much.  Doc also discussed paired donation.  That's where if Brian is not compatible . But the donor of another patient is compatible with me and Brian is compatible with that patient.  Of course we would then need a caretaker to take care of both of us.  If this arises, we'll figure out how to deal with it.  

"Door to Your Heart", The Dramatics. The harmonies are so tight.  Love it.  We spent about 4 hours at the hospital. Longer than we anticipated, but we've got nothing but time. Lol. Except we were scheduled to start our water color painting class. We made it. Lol. Water color is way different from acrylics.  I'll write about the classes one day soon. I still have the surprise party for Brian's aunt to write about. :)

Finally, Brian and I will be representing the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan at Bert's at Eastern Market on March 29, 2014. There will be a health fair.  Our scheduled time 10AM to 1PM.  Hope you drop by. 

Signing off with The Jackson 5, "Never Can Say Goodbye".  Check out the flute in the background.   Any suggestions songs I should download?  Let me know. Have a great Wednesday!!! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment