Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, March 14, 2014

The "Don't End Up Like Me. Take Care of Your Kidneys", edition.

iPad shuffled to Jamiroquai, "Virtual Insanity". I like the song and the video. Yesterday was World Kidney Day (WKD). "WKD is a global health awareness campaign focusing on the importance of the kidneys and reducing the frequency and impact of kidney disease and it's associated health problems worldwide."  Objectives include highlighting risks, screening and transplant education and donation.

How do kidneys keep you healthy? Activate vitamin D for healthy bones. Filters waste from blood. Directs production of red blood cells.  Regulate blood pressure.  Keep blood minerals in balance. Regulate fluid levels. Hey, they do a lot to be such little organs. Well let's see how things are being substituted for me.  Vitamin D. I take a daily vitamin.  I take a super vitamin D supplement every 6 months. That one tickles me.  I also get a shot every 2 weeks at dialysis. For the record, most injections are given through the tubing, not directly in my arm. The exceptions were the flu shot and the  TB vaccination. 

"Funkin' For Jamaica", Tom Browne. The funk. I immediately start playing my air bass guitar.  :)  Blood waste filtration is done through dialysis. You know. A needle moving blood in and a needle moving blood in and going through the dialysis machine.  For the red blood cells I get an injection of Epogen during treatment.  Red blood cells produce oxygen. Blood pressure?  I take lisinopril, 60 MG a day. But during treatment, my blood pressure can fluctuate wildly.  Too low I pass out, to high threat of a stroke.  Blood minerals in balance!  Controlled by my diet....sodium, potassium, phosphourus.  Fluid balance?  Also controlled by me. 40 ounces of fluid. a day (just one Old English 800 malt liquor for me!  Lol). Includes things I drink and eat.  Like being mindful of fluids in fruits and vegetables and Popsicles!  

What problems can be caused by kidney disease?  Weak bones, cardiac arrest, stroke, nerve damage, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, anemia, kidney failure. What the risk factors?  High blood pressure, diabetes, family history, age 60+.  What are some of the symptoms?  Swelling, including hands and feet.  Puffy eyes. Increased thirst. 

I urge you to make sure you get tested the next time you visit your physician. You want to see your creatinine number.  It shouldn't be greater than 1.0  Remember, mine was 13.0. Yikes!! You also want to see your Glomerular Filtration Rate. This will tell you the efficiency of your kidneys. 

Chaka Khan, "And The Melody Still Lingers On (A Night in Tunisia)".  I hope you take me seriously and get your kidneys checked.  As much as I'd enjoy your company in the dialysis chair next to me, I wouldn't wish it on you.  I'm doing 10.5 hours of dialysis a week. So because I'm not getting 24/7 work from kidneys, in addition to dialysis, I taking a cartload of drugs.  Drugs at treatment and drugs at home. $$$$  Remember we lost Barry White and Luther Vandross from kidney failure.  Click on the link below. 

So that was rather serious and maudlin. But take the tests.  I'm good. Wednesday I got pissed at treatment with reality of being at the mercy of other people,  but that's a story for another day.  

Brian and  I took a painting class yesterday. We are now artistes!!  I'll put up the pictures next week.  And yes, we're going back.  :)  Signing off with The Jackson 5, "Maybe Tomorrow".  "You are the four seasons of my life".    Looks like we are getting one spring day this weekend!!!!   








No comments:

Post a Comment