Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, June 23, 2014

The "My Life is in the Hands of Strangers. I'm Gonna Fix That", edition.

iPad shuffled to "Heaven's Girl", Aaron Hall, Charlie Wilson, Naomi Campbell, Quincy Jones, R. Kelly and Ron Isley.  Off of Q's Juke Joint..AKA, how many artists can we put on a single song. Lol. It's a great song. All those wonderful and distinctive tenors :)  Breathing was difficult last night and this morning.  I'm on oxygen for the moment. In addition my mechanical kidney was out of sorts.  And I didn't sleep well.  You know, the kidney disease insomnia.  I'm feeling flat and tired.  Hoping I feel better once treatment is complete. 

"Rock With You", Brandy, Heavy D and the Boyz, and Quincy Jones. Brandy, eh. Heavy D, yeah! The other day a message popped up on my timeline from one of the many dialysis / kidney disease discussion groups I follow.   The message was from a dialysis patient advocacy group. A patient was having trouble...disagreements with the staff and administrative staff at the dialysis center to the point that the patient was released ( kicked out ) from the center.  And the center made sure other dialysis centers in the vicinity knew the patient was a problem. Consequently the other centers wouldn't admit the patient. Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've read about situations like this.   

"Do Nothin' Till You Here From Me", Quincy Jones and Phil Collins. Yes, it's a Q's Juke Joint palooza this morning!!!!   I'm feeling better.  A little cleansing of the blood, a little removal of toxins, and a little shot of oxygen is all it takes. Woo. :-/  Hooray ( feel the sarcasm ).  A lot of times the patient is trying to control their care.  Like we shouldn't have to argue about how much fluid is being taken off. I know if they  attempt to take off 3 kilograms or more from me I will crash.  You know, a drastic drop in blood pressure, cramping, feeling nauseous, fainting. I'm not trying to have that happen. But some patients have to argue that. 

Tamia ( Mrs Grant Hill ). "You Put a Move on My Heart". This is the song that I wanted. So I purchased the CD. One of the best CDs ever. ;-)  Some patients have called out techs about sanitary protocols.  Staff is to wash hands and change gloves when they go from patient to patient.  They are to wear gloves when they touch the machines.  When this happens, it can trigger several events.  The optimal result is the supervisor reminds the staff. What seems to happen at several locations is retaliation at the patient for bringing it up.  Administrators not disciplining the offending staff member.  Or the staff member will start harassing the patient.  We're sitting ducks during treatment. We can't get up.  We really need to finish  out treatment. The staff member can disregard requests.  In some cases they'll start setting a faster flow which is required. Disregard requests to remove the patient to go to restroom, so the patient is left to soil himself. Remember. People on dialysis don't pee, but they do defecate.  And they let the patient just there.  These are just a few ways the patients get abused. 

"Stomp!" Luke Cresswell, Fiona Wilkes, Carl Smith, Fraser Morrison, Everett Bradley, Mr. X, Melle Mel, Coolio, Yo-Yo, Chaka Khan, Charlie Wilson, Shaquille O'Neal, Luniz .  The patient will take the complaints up chain of command to corporate, because most of the places are for-profit. The patient ends up getting kicked out and not allowed to other treatment centers. That is a death sentence. 

George Benson, "Turn Your Love Around". I'm not seeing these behaviors at my center.  I haven't seem them at the centers I've visited. But I am aware that it can happen. I'll be moving out of state very soon.  The center I'm going to in Las Vegas is the same one I've gone to when I've visited. It is a for profit center .... The one here is not. The good news is once we settle in Vegas, ill transition to Home hemodialysis.  But I will stay vigilant and will still be my strongest advocate.  

Signing off with The Guess Who, "American Woman". Enjoy the fireworks.  I'll be watching them from my recliner.   Lol.  Link to the advocy site. It lists cases and outcomes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment