Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The "June 2014 Dialysis Update and News", edition.

iPad shuffled to Cream,  "Sunshine of Your Love".  Eric Clapton. Enough said.   My new buttonhole was ready this morning and one of the techs I trust used it for the first time. Of course she is the one that started it and nurtured it. The fun part was on days she wasn't here. Her back up was the first tech I had. The one I cussed out when I first started (so embarrassed) and then got kicked in the butt by karma. Those are the two I trust the most. I pledge to guard this new buttonhole sigh my life. Well yeah, it is my lifeline. If my fistula fails, I have to get a new chest catheter inserted in my chest. Ugh. That would make Pat very unhappy.

Warren G, "Regulate". Smooth hip hop. Lol. I'm looking at my module this morning.  3 people are here that weren't here when I moved to this module in January 2013. Me and saggy pants were new to the mod...we both had chest catheters. His came off about 2 months after mine. My partner next to me was here when we got here. He's the king of module 6. He's been here the longest. Lol. Second shift of module 6 had a full on changeover.  Just one guy left. Another cool old dude. He's in a wheelchair, but also brings his cane. I call it the triangle cane. I'll post a photo. He also wears a jaunty cap and some days has his toothpick. He always greets me with, "Hey Baby.  How are you today?"  :-)  Some people who I pass to get to my chair are missing.  I don't know where they are. Sometimes people switch shifts or modules. Some go to other dialysis centers. Some do get transplants. There are some who just plain don't need dialysis any more.  Or they die.   

The Isley a Brothers, "Hello It's Me".   The death of the spitfire on 2nd shift from my module upset me.  I'm pretty sure she was younger than me.  She did not like dialysis at all. She also had lupus, which caused the kidney issues.  She wasn't compliant.  She'd come in needing up to 5kgs taken off. She'd look swollen and would need oxygen. She didn't like the swelling around her access site.  Last year her son got killed trying to protect some kids. She scowled at everyone and some staff were obvious about not wanting to treat her.  It got worse when our tech retired.  I made a point of just listening to her. You know, mentoring.  She had a lot of hospital trips.  She told me about the doctors at the hospital wouldn't give her pain meds because she had been a drug user.  I thought that sucked. The pain should be managed. Of course I only heard one side of the story. Hers. But she really was continuously in pain.  She was upset when after a hospitalization she found out a lady on her shift had died. I was upset that she died 2 months later.  Welcome to the world of dialysis. 

Ramsey Lewis, "Love Song" The piano, the strings, the horns. Classic. But lol on the 70s wicka sound effects.  I've completed all of my tests to remain on the transplant list.  People have asked me about the length on time on the list. It is is dependent on what state or region you're in. It's 3-5 years here in Michigan. California is on average 7 years.  And yes when I move to Nevada, I have to start all over.  And yes, I'd be no longer eligible to remain on the list. I'll be too far away.  *sigh*. How cool would it be to get "the call" before I leave?  I can dream. :-)  

Oh how about this.  The power at the center went out about 10 minutes ago. The lights and computers and wifi went out.  The generators kicked on. The dialysis machines never missed a beat. And...my chair stayed heated. Lol. Not sure I'd use the generator for a heated chair, but ok. 

Kem, "You're On My a Mind". So I lost connection to wifi. I switched to cellular, but because I had no wifi, I had no internet.  I did have my music library.  Oh yeah...no TVs for us. The power is back now. Yay!  What if the entire power at dialysis went down?  We've been shown how to remove ourselves in an emergency.   Looking at my module, we're all ambulatory so we'd be responsible to disengage ourselves from the dialysis machines and make our way out of the building. I think since I know how to remove my needles, I'd be pretty much on my own...and that's ok. :)  But the lights came on.  So we're keeping on keeping on. 

Signing off with Heatwave, "Mind Blowing Decisions".  And now for the news.  I'm leaving for Las Vegas on July 25!!!!  I'm seeing fresh corn in the stores. I'm getting some!!  Enjoy the day. I plan on it!  






No comments:

Post a Comment