Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The "I'm Doing Good In Spite of the Wretched Medicare Donut Hole",edition.

iPad shuffled to Snoop Dogg, "Who Am I (What's My Name)". The bass is strong with thus one. :)  of course it is, that's my neighbor on bass who I've know since we were 7 years old!   I had a lot of topics.  Still do. Let's do movies first. We've seen Captain America, Spider-Man, X-Men and Maleficent. And I still want to see Godzilla.  But do you see a theme?  Yes they are all 3D..Real 3D!  (TM). Lol.  The other theme was, the first 3 movies were Marvel comics movies!!!   And I wasn't a Marvel fan. Not because the quality of the comics. I just wasn't interested.

Eddie Money, "Two Tickets to Paradise". Don't judge.  Just don't. Lol. Oh oh. On our last flight out of Metro Airport...er...McNamara airport, there was a band playing "Two Tickets to Paradise" (badly).  Lol.  People walked by snickering. Lol.  Well Shawn and Brian liked the Marvel movies so they went together.   I did see the original X-Men (yawn).  Also I the kidney failure symptoms started and it was just too tiring to go to a movie theater and sit forever (feel the whine).   Once Shawn moved, I could see Brian pining away for his movies. He really wanted to see Captain America.  I couldn't let my sweetie miss seeing the movie. I told him I'd go with him. Why not? I was feeling fine and I like getting out of the house.  And it was ... Real 3D!!!

James Brown, "I Got You (I Feel Good)". Heh. A James Brown movie is coming out. Hooray for movie trailers.  I forgot when, but I'm going!!  We went the first showing of Captain America on a Sunday at the Royal Oak Emagine Theater.  I was hooked. Samuel L Jackson, Scarlet Johansen and Robert Redford.  Lots of action. Storyline kept moving. And no sappy love scenes!   However I didn't know jack about the Captain. Brian had to explain a lot to me after the movie.  Now I was hyped to see Spider-man...because we saw the trailers for Spider-Man, X-Men, Maleficent and Godzilla.  No spoilers, but I enjoyed all the movies and am looking forward to seeing more. I also found I like the AMC in Madison Heights. Reserved seats that recline!!!   This is one of the things I was missing when I was in the throes of kidney failure.  And I was missing it while I was recovering.  I ain't missing it any more!!!

Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers, "Does a Your Mama Know About Me". Know what?  What did you do?  What are you?  Lol I always ask these questions when the song comes on. Lol.  Donut hole. How can something so tasty have such a foul meaning?   Grrrrrrr.  Wait, wait. I looked up the song to see what the song was about.  Tommy Chong (Cheech and Chong) wrote the song and was a member of the group.  And the song was (supposedly) about a Black guy dating a White girl. I was going towards him being a convict.  The other thing it said (not Wikipedia), was the original name was ...  Well I'll let you find that. 

"Moody's Mood for Love" from "Q's Juke a Joint"...way too many artists to name.  I'd been on the next track. It does include Brian McKnight and Take 6.  Back to the donut hole. There are 4 stages to drug coverage in Medicare (Part D). I raced through stages 1 and 2. Stage 1 I had to satisfy a deductible of $310.  2 of my 3 prescriptions would satisfy that requirement...and I mean the cost either of the 2 exceeded the deductible. Yikes. At least one was less expensive than the other.  $400<$800. Yikes again. 

The 2nd stage was significantly lower. I stayed in that stage 2 months. Once I exceed $2550, which included the copay and what Medicare kicked in. One drug costs $1000.  WTF!!!!!!!  After I reach the $2550, I fall into the donut hole. We all do. I have to pay the full cost of the drugs  until I've paid somewhere around $4500. I repeat..I PAY THE FULL COST OF THE DRUGS.  I'll explain the reasoning another day.  Once I reach the $4500 threshold, the cost comes down dramatically. The 4th and last stage is call catastrophic coverage.  Geez, ya think?  

The Tavares, "Check it Out".  Why are my meds so expensive?  Because they are specialized. Only a few people even need them.  People with kidney failure. There are subsidies and help with the cost.  I'm just shit out of luck because we're not poverty level. Hooray for living the middle class dream. ;(  Anyway, that's what sent me down the rabbit  (donut) hole. I'll drive my family to bankruptcy trying to stay healthy. What was the point of saving and investing to go out like this?  Rage.  Yes, I got over. We'll be okay, but I'm not happy. It's just easier to quit the meds and I so I don't leave Brian destitute. 

Well, that's my story.  I'm ok.  Talking about quitting taking my meds mortified Brian. He yanked me out of the rabbit hole and I'm ok. And we'll be ok. Just don't ask for a loan!!!  Lol

Signing out on a happy note.  "Yeah", Usher, Ludacris and Little Jon. Great song and you're gonna always look at Little Jon and say "What the hell?"  lol. Crunk!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes. It is truly amazing that you can become broke just because a person happens to get sick. Technology advances faster than anyone can keep up with, but we just seem to be at a loss in regards to fixing our badly broken healthcare system. It was hard enough working in the medical field, but then I wind up becoming a patient. I never thought in a million years that I would end up on a fixed income quite this early in my life due to my health. It is inconceivable just how much meds costs or how expensive medical treatment can cost. I can go on and on. Unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete