Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, December 12, 2014

The "Happy Birthday, Shawn!!", edition.

"Uptown Funk", Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars.  Wake you up, start the head bopping, chair dancing song. "If we show up, we gonna show out!.".   It is really hard trying to type to this song. I'm bouncing, singing and trying to dance instead of concentrating my thoughts on writing.  Ok. First things first. I mentioned on the last edition that yelling lady was taken out by EMTs. This morning a visitor was put in the chair. I'll ask about her and see if I get any information. I think we got accustomed to the yelling and kinda miss her. (!) 

Today is the birthday of my child. My baby. My daughter!!  You know, from the time she was born, I'd pray that my child would become an independent, compassionate, productive member of society.  Independence.  She is living in an apartment (I call it a duplex) with a roommate.  She pays her bills. Has renter's insurance. She's mother to a feisty man-cat. She's taking care of business. Her job is truly  going to school. Productive. She has a PhD fellowship at University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana. A Big 10 University.  She has presented findings from her projects at several conferences for professional organizations all over North America. She has friends and contacts from all over the country, all over the world!! Compassionate.  She is involved  in the current protests, an active participating member. I like that. 

"Classic", Kanye West, KRS-1, Nas and Rakim. But on top of all of that, she is a good person. Raising her was fun. We encouraged her discover and ask questions. One day when she was young we were watching TV when the news came on. I was going to change the channel. My mom, who had 2 master degrees, 1 in education and the other in early childhood education and taught kindergarten for 40 years, stopped me. She says it was good for her to be exposed to the news and current events. Ok. Who was I to argue with an early childhood expert!  Lol. We found that letting her watch the news had her thinking and forming opinions. She'd ask us about events and we'd discuss them.  Imagine our surprise and amusement at our 5 year old announcing to us that OJ Simpson was guilty during the trial!!!   So yeah, we asked her why and she gave us her reasoning. She has always been allowed to form her own opinions. We'd ask her questions, but for the most we'd let it stand. She was allowed to view the world through her lens with the guidance of her parents, not her parents determining how she thinks. We may disagree on some things, but then we end up presenting our views to each other. It's a very enjoyable relationship. 

Ohio Players, "I Want to Be Free". So today is her birthday and Brian and I celebrate our daughter, our only child. We marvel at the intelligent, activist, involved young woman she's become.  Who still calls us Mommy and Daddy. :-)  The  young woman who is excited to come and visit her parents for the holiday.  The young woman who's offered to cook us meals while staying here. And you better believe there are 3 people here who can hardly wait for her to arrive!!  Hrmmm. My buddy in the blue mustang is leaving early. His access isn't working. That means a trip to the vascular surgeon. Now. I should see him on Monday.  Well I digressed. 

Tom Browne,  "Funkin' For Jamaica".  LOVE me some funk. So happy birthday to most wonderful person I know. She's going to Seattle for a few days while she's out here. Another archeology conference. She amazes me and you'd better believe she's all in for archeology. It's especially exciting when she dumbs down her work for me and Brian!  Lol. But we sit and listen enraptured because she's our baby. And we do learn something. Love you Shawn!!!  Have a great birthday!!!!  <3. 

Parliament,  "Give Up the Funk". On the dialysis front I found out that yelling lady is back in the hospital. And walker guy had low pressure episode on Wednesday.  Guy with tattoos on his head isn't here today. That worries me.  Don't want to miss the day before the weekend. Also. I go out and do stuff of my off days, but it's still not unusual to feel punky while we're out. Like yesterday. After a little shopping we ended up at Costco    I started feeling woozy. Somehow I fought it back, but that's exhausting. I was so relieved to get back to the car and recline. Side note. When we bought the car, it was between the Fusion and the Escape. The Fusion won because it had the electric passenger seat recliner. The Escape did not. WTF?  Lol. It cost the same, but that was not even an option!!  Ford in its infinite wisdom decided that the Escape didn't need that feature. That was a deal breaker for me. Sometimes I need to recline coming from dialysis. 

Signing off with New Edition, "If It Isnt Love".  Winter storm coming to Las Vegas. That translate into no sun and rain. Lol lol lol. Winter storm indeed. Rolling on the floor laughing. Have a great weekend. Let the decorating begin!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment