Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The "Coping With Failed Kidneys", edition.

Ipad shuffled to The Stylistics, "You Make Me Feel Brand New". One of my all time favorite songs.  As I listen to this song, I realize that I could say the lyrics to Brian. Ok. Enough gushing over Brian. Lol. But he had an integral part in my recovery and how I'm to functioning today. I've explained how I felt horrible in the months leading up to full kidney failure.  I've been reading how other people cope. We all  take different paths into failed kidneys. I have a problem calling it kidney disease. That would mean my kidneys are functioning. Sick, but functioning. But that is not the case.  My kidneys are useless. Some people are born with congenital kidney disease.  Some are born with defects that affect the kidneys. Some have cancer of the kidneys. Some kidneys fail due to uncontrolled hypertension or diabetes. I have a hereditary blood disorder that has affected my health my entire life, including my now failed kidneys.  And there are a whole myriad of conditions that I'm not familiar with. 

The Weather Girls, "It's Raining Men". Whoo hoo!!!  I partipate in several dialysis support groups and The National Kidney Foundation, a dialysis patient advocation organization and read blogs of dialysis patient blogs. I get a lot of information, but I also get a lot of perspectives of how people cope. And boy, do dialysis patients cope!!   The nature of failed kidneys means theire is a domino effect on the rest of our organs.  The kidneys flush and regulate cleaning the toxins out of our bodies. But!!!  Our kidneys don't work. So we do dialysis. Or get a transplant (if you're fortunate). We here in the U.S. Get dialyzed in center 3-5 hours a day, 3 days a week.  Oh yeah. Did you know the U.S. Payments get the least amount of dialysis than most countries?   Did you know that a large proportion of dialysis centers in the US are forprofit?  And that affects our level of care?  We actually get minimal care compared to some European countries or Australia. 

Public Enemy, "Don't Believe The Hype".  Our organs. Because the potassium isn't cleared out regularly, our hearts have to be monitored. And have to be between certain levels. Too much potassium and we can drop dead.  No warning. Too much phosphourus causes bone and heart problems. Phosphourous is in dairy, beans and nuts. Calcium is watched. It's an interesting dance of balancing and watching what you eat and prescribing the right drugs, and the right dosage of the drugs. Oh yeah,  there's a vitamin D deficiency. Heh and even pain pills. Tylenol? Advil? Aleve?   Each has its issues.  And then there are the different types accesses to flush those kidneys. AV fistula?  Chest catheter?  Peritoneal catheter?  All of them increase my susceptibility to infection. I'm a hand washing, Purel using fiend now, acutely aware of being in public places. 

Snoop Dogg, "Who Am I (What's My Name)". The bass is real strong in this. :-)  So through all this I'm coping. No rabbit holes in a while. But I think I know why. My mortality is staring me down. I'm good with that.  I'm entering the midway point of my 5 tear life expectancy. 2 1/2 years to go. I have a long term life event goal. That being said I can't controll things that can happen. I read about what other dialysis patients have to endure and it's so freaking frightening. Can that happen to me?  Maybe. But I do get that everyone's situation is different. And I do get my attitude has a lot to with it. I think that's why Brian lets me flirt with the rabbit hole and then yanks me back. Thanks, dear. I I could list the many trials that the patients go through. I'm saying they're scary, but I can say I'm informed. It lessens the unknown. Makes life bearable. 

Outkast, "So Fresh, So Clean". So how do I cope?  Hell, I'm happy to be alive!!  I smile and I mean it. Of course some times I'm cranky and tired, but we all get that way.  I am that rainbow person. Lol. Where the hell did that come from?  I'm grateful for many things and I have no problem letting people know I'm grateful they're in my life. I have no problem letting friends and family know how much I love them. I also am realistic, but I sure as heck control what I can. A lot of the care responsilbity is up to me. I'm game.  Here's a chair dance tune, Destiny Child, "Jumpin', Jumpin'". 

Signing out with Brownstone, "Grapevyne". My friend complained it was cold, then posted, "It's Cold in the D". Lol. We all could have done without that. Lol lol. Have a great weekend. :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment