Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, September 14, 2015

The "OK. Now The Problem is Really Solved", edition.

Good Monday morning!  The weekend was pretty good. Last time I wrote about my access and needing the angioplasty.  And was sure the problem was solved. Well. Friday evening we proceeded to start treatment. Brian had set up the machine and I'd set up my station. I successfully cannulated my arterial access...translation - I stuck my lower access hole. Oh. Not sure if I explained that the buttonholes are a lot like a pierced ear. Now it was time to stick the venous access, the upper hole, the access that was causing the problem. Put the needle....and nothing!  Adjust the needle and....nothing. Feel the arm to make sure I feel the throbbing. It's there. Try a second needle. Nothing. Uh oh. 

In defense of my arm (that sounds funny doesn't it), it was still sore and swollen from the angioplasty on Thursday. We called the nurse. She said to ice the arm and try again on Saturday morning. Well Saturday morning was the first sorority meeting after summer break. And I wanted to go. So I went. 
When I got home we started the process again. This time the needle went in like a champ! Honestly, I was never happier to be able to do a dialysis session. How sad is that?  We did treatment again last night and I was still a wee bit apprehensive, but the needle slid on nicely. So it looks like the angioplasty worked and my accesses should be fine for the next 6-8 months. 

I'll be doing a 4 day stretch of dialysis because of the wonky schedule of last week and that's fine. Now if I could only get some sleep. I'm having really bad bouts of insomnia. 3 hours of sleep a night if I'm lucky. It might be a side effect of going off schedule and a build up of toxins. Right now all I know is that I'm perpetually tired. Ugh. 

That's it for today. I'll be able to start deep water fitness today. I'd been feeling ill the last last week of the last session and then I had access issues the first week of the current session. Outside Temp is 73 (!) right now. Fall is in the air. It's still heading to the mid 90, but no warmer. Have a good day. 


This chart. That's me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment