Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, February 5, 2016

The "It's Been 3 Years", edition.

Good Friday morning.  It's been 3 years since I lost my mom. But it's really been longer than that.  She fell out of a chair on Christmas Eve 2013 and never walked again. She really never ate again either.  Just the feeding tube. For the next 13 months she wasted away. She'd have moments of great clarity and moments of wild disconnect. Up until the definitive diagnosis of End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) aka chronic kidney failure, I was making as many trips to Las Vegas as possible. I'd been reduced to wheelchairs in the airports and the constant use of a cane. I had chronic back pain and debilitating nausea.  And I was tired all of the time. Yeah, those pesky ESRD symptoms. But I was determined to go be with Mommy and try to get her up. At some point I realized that was a futile effort. And she was continually deteriorating.

I ended up in the emergency room in early November 2013. By late 2013 Mom was too weak to talk over the phone.  In early December Dad was informed that she probably had only 6 weeks to live.  I was still using a walker. :-(  And I was getting assorted surgeries and adjusting to dialysis 3 days a week. I let my care team know I needed to get to Las Vegas to visit Mom. They worked very hard to make it happen. I made my reservations. Mom died 2 weeks before I could get out there. 

I miss my mom. 

So the local CBS station, Super Bowl Central, and the local cable company, Cox, had a little spat and Cox kicked the CBS station off the air on Saturday. We're getting more and more concerned each passing day that we'll miss the game. I found out that we'd be able to hook up the XBox to watch it and told Brian. After looking at it, he did he needed to call our tech guy....Shawn. Lol lol. I watched her hook up Netflix with the XBox, but I can't duplicate it. She would have had to show me several times for it to sink in!!  Well as of yesterday around 3:00 PM the CBS station was back on the air.  At the grocery store we were reminded that we could watch it on the Spanish stations. Yes. It was the talk of the town!!

We tried a new chili recipe. Music break. Playing "Sunshine" by Earth Wind and Fire. Ok back to chili. I was watching Guy Fieri making Texas Chili last weekend. Don't hate, please. His recipes are usually too involved and really not the healthiest food. But it looks good, but damn, it's not for a novice cook. And I don't know anyone who has a fabulous outdoor kitchen like he has....but I digress. The recipe was involved, but not too bad. The most difficult part was finding the ingredients. Food Network chefs tend to use obscure items. And Guy didn't disappoint. Anyway we gave it a try.  Or rather I sent the recipe to Brian and he said let's try it. 

Since it is Texas chili, it means there are no tomatoes or beans. It calls for 6 types of chiles and 2 types  of meat because it's "chili con carne".... Chili with meat. It wasn't difficult, just lots of prep. And finding Fresno chiles. Lol. We finally found them. Brian used gloves to deseed and cut the peppers.  And even then, the initial tasting was.....spicy.  The recipe called for 2+ hour cooking time which eased the spiciness. During that time Dad tried to sneak a taste. The spice got him.  Lol. He started hacking and confessed.  Lol.  Busted!!!!  Anyway the recipe also called for a beer  cheese sauce and Brian made that also. The verdict?  Best. Chili. Ever!!!!!

That's it for today. The dialysis run last night was meh.  My BP dropped and my chest hurt. Feeling better today. And off today to go to caucus training this evening (!). Warming up here. The sports books are prepared for the biggest betting day on Sunday. Brian's got a fun walk on Sunday morning. And I think it's tha last day for the World of Concrete convention. Don't laugh. It rivals the Consumer Electronics Convention in scope and size...just not as sexy. World of Concrete!  Loll lol

Have a wonderful weekend. And I do have a slight preference for the Super Bowl, but a case can be made for either team. Have fun!!! 









No comments:

Post a Comment