Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, February 26, 2016

The "I Live in Paradise", edition.

Good Friday morning!  Yes. I live in Paradise, but it's not what you think.  We learned last year that we don't live in Las Vegas, but rather in the township of Paradise. That's right. I live in Paradise, Nevada!!  

"Paradise is an unincorporated town[1] and census-designated place (CDP) in Clark County, NevadaUnited States, adjacent to the city of Las Vegas. The population was 223,167 at the 2010 census.[2] As an unincorporated town, it is governed by the Clark County Commission with input from the Paradise Town Advisory Board. Paradise was formed on December 8, 1950.[3]
Paradise contains McCarran International Airport; the University of Nevada, Las Vegas; and most of the Las Vegas Strip. Paradise contains most tourist attractions in the Las Vegas area, excluding downtown. Despite this, the name Paradise remains relatively unknown. All Paradise ZIP codes have Las Vegas mailing addresses." 

The actual city of Las Vegas is pretty much downtown. Apparently "Las Vegas" is made up if a bunch unincorpated towns. Other townships include Winchester, Spring Mountain and Enterprise. There are signs to "welcome" you into these townships. We discovered we didn't live in Las Vegas during the mayoral election. I guess our governing body is the Clark County Commision. 

Ok. With that being said, it feels like paradise, and it's all relative, to my home state. It's unseasonably warm, meaning the high temps are in the mid 70s. And. The weather casters have conceded that it looks like we've got an early spring. It's weather like this...and reading about blizzards in the Midwest,  that underscores my decision to move out here. But I can't gloat. I will be whining starting in June when the temps will go over 105. However. I am enjoying the weather now. Dad and Brian have been hitting the jacuzzi in the afternoons. I'm not ready yet. Lol. 

I've got planning to do and I'm paralyzed by the cost of my medications. I should just go and bite the bullet.  I use a mail order service...conveniently operated by the dialysis corporation, Davita.  If the cost of the prescriptions exceed $500.00, I must pay before the meds are delivered. I am not eligible for payment assistance. Brian and Dad tell me to be thankful I can afford the drugs. But really. I get financially seized up for 3-4 months until I can get out of this dumbass Medicare donut hole. I still haven't seen any good reason for it except to ensure the pharmacy execs get paid. Thank you George Bush. Oh yeah. Last year I could get a discount if I paid by credit card. This year I received a letter from Medicare saying they no longer allowed it. Yep. Let's cut those "entitlements". Apparently we're not entitled to live. I digress. 

Ok planning for what?  The sorority is have a formal dance. I need to get my dress. And my shoes. And my accessories. We're heading to Augusta, GA and Edgefield, SC to visit Shawn. I need to make the airplane reservations, hotel reservations and car rental reservations. I've already notified the clinic, but I have to give them the hotel information so they ship some stuff. We also have to contact NxStage (home hemodialysis machine company) so they know where to ship the dialysate and cartridges and whatnot. Immediate plans include hosting a meeting for another organization I belong to next month.  And I'm hosting Easter dinner for my seniors, of course!  Whew.  

Nothing special on dialysis, but I did treat you to "the rant of a dialysis patient". That's it for today. I guess I'll bite the bullet and order the meds. But really. Who wants to charge $500+ on their credit card. Ugh. Anyway. Have a great weekend. :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment