Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The "Good Days, Better Days", edition.

Good Wednesday morning!  Looking to get in the 90s today. And it's going to get warmer. I knew what I was getting into by moving to the desert. Shawn and I visited Mom in the summer of 2012.  We were overwhelmed by the heat. And when I moved here in July 2014, I never really adjusted to the heat. It took time for me to cool down. I'd have the car air conditioning running at full blast and it didn't seem like enough. I recall going into an air conditioned store and at best I was clammy, rather than cool. Ugh. Then last summer, I started having a reaction to the intense sun. Lol. No catching any breaks here!  So now I wear special gloves while in the car, keep sunblock in the car and have a special steroid cream for my hands. At least the reaction only affects my hands. What happens is the skin on my hands gets very fragile and tears easily. Even scratching can tear the skin. Bleah. Heh. And this is remotely ESRD related. 

So. I apparently am a craft fair fan. I get this honestly from the Ann Arbor art fairs. I got some pretty nice items from the Ann Arbor fairs including purses, jewelry, a hat(!) and a rocking chair with a footstool. I've attended a few craft fairs here. But as with most things, there is no comparison to anything in Michigan (man, I miss Eastern Market). And because we're in the desert, the fairs are mostly inside. Many years ago I discovered titanium jewelry at an Ann Arbor fair. The colors mesmerized me. Over the years I purchased several years. The earrings hardware eventually wore out. I never was able to find any more. Until last year at a craft fair out here. You'd have thought I found a pot of gold. There was a vendor selling what I thought was titanium jewelry. Well, they've moved on from titanium to  niobium. I was delighted. I bought a pair of earrings last year. And I purchased another pair this past Sunday. It was so hard to choose! 

Anyway, we left the fair with bags o' stuff. I got some nice bling for the formal dance coming up. Brian got a fancy pen. I bought a small bag of Carmel macchiato carmels. So rich. And they melt in your mouth. Brian purchased some apple butter and jalapeño jelly. I think Brian also got something for garlic preparation. Heh. A craft fair can be a dangerou$ thing. 

On the dialysis front, much of the access and run time drama has diminished while I'm creating a new buttonhole. Yes, I am sticking myself with a sharp needle in the same spot for a while to create the track. I'm still marveling at how easily the needle just slides right in to the vein.  And it doesn't hurt. Really. The track should be ready for my Sunday treatment and I'll go back to using the blunt needles. I'm really marveling at the fact that I am doing this. This is something the nurses and techs did at the dialysis center. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd be doing this. Of course I never thought my kidneys would fail {rim shot}. Heh. I recall at my Detroit center there was an RN who was unable to cannulate (stick). My tech convinced me to let her try on me. Lol. Apparently I trusted my tech a lot. Anyway, the RN couldn't do it. As an aside, she'd just completed her Masters degree in nursing and left for another job. In her defense, she was trying. No hate. 

Oh yeah. Brian is doing cross fit. He had me come to watch. It's a pretty intense workout. The trainer wants me to try. And I'm willing, understanding that my starting pace will be slloooooooooow. I also need to check with my doctors to make sure my fistula won't be damaged by some of the exercises or what modifications would need to made to the routine. 

That's it for today. It's movie day. We just have to decide which on to see. Wednesday is senior (55+) day and the movies cost $4.00.  Unless we go to a 3D IMAX movie, which I like, but there still is a significant discount. Even a discount on snacks. Yeah!  Anyway have a great Wednesday!!!  

A few of my craft fair purchases. 

No comments:

Post a Comment