Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, July 11, 2014

The "Thinking About Golfing Again", edition.

iPad shuffled to The Dramatics, "Door to Your Heart".  The Dramatics kill it on this song. The vocals are fantastic. The arrangement is great. The instrument is kicking. The harmonies are tight, as usual.  I used to golf. I was the quintessential mediocre golfer.  Lol. I had fun, though. How did I start?  Of course  there is a story behind that.

This happened before Shawn was born. Brian joined a league.  Back in the day, the City had a men's golf league. The flyers said come join. Even if you don't know how to play. We'll teach you. Brian said cool. It worked for him.  The next year, one of my coworkers was dating a guy that golfed...a lot. She noticed a flyer for a City womens golf league. She convinced me that we needed to learn how to golf so we can spend quality time with our men. (Snicker).  And yes lessons were offered for the newbies.  And yes the lessons were free.  Unfortunately the first day of league play was before the first class. 

Tee time was after work at Chandler Park. Yes, we had to get from CAYMC (City County Building) to Connor and I-94 in rush hour traffic.  Add to that I was a straight up west sider. Lol. I learned many east side routes. We get to the course. At least we had golf clubs.  I think I used my dad's old clubs. I had some old knowledge from my dad showing me how to hold a club when I was a teenager. Let's just say that my friend and I were delighted if it took us only 10 strokes to get to the hole. Lol. We were just that bad. Lol. We didn't even have the decency to be embarrassed. At least we were n different foursomes.  Lol. Oh yeah. In my foursome was a manager from my department. A woman who invoke fear and terror when she walked down the hall. She eventually would become my manager. She was patient as hell as she helped me that first day. And she was a kickass golfer. Lol. 

Robin Thicke with Pharrell and T.I., "Blurred Lines".  I pulled up the video. I now know there are 2 versions. Enough said. That weekend we had the first of several lessons.  The lessons actually lasted for the duration of the league..8 weeks I think.  We got a lot of instruction and it was worth it.  Lol i eventually to actually par on some holes.  Plus it helped that we played the same course so we got familiar with the holes.  Eventually my friend I would golf with our fellas.  Brian and I spent quality time at Chandler Park that summer.  That's where we both were learning the game.  

Sir Mix-a-Lot, "Baby Got Like". Lol. My head started bopping and the chair dancing is on. Lol. Doing everything I can to not start singing along.  Lol.  "Red beans and rice didn't miss her!".  I eventually got better clubs, golf shoes, golf glove, and better balls...pink, of course.  :)  The next year we drove to Disney World ... Yeah no Shawn, but I was pregnant.  That's another story for another day.  We took our clubs and stayed a Disney resort that had 2 courses, The Disney Inn...it's now reserved for the armed forces. Anyway, we pull up, the valet took our clubs to the pro shop. Brian scheduled a lesson with the pro.  I passed. I was pregnant and the humidity sucked the life out of me.  I was happy being Brian's golf groupie. <3.  

When he retrieved his clubs, they were cleaned and we had Disney World tags on our golf bags. We were now traveling golfers. We had proof!!!  Anyway, his lessons were taped so he could he how he did and what he needed to work on.  A few days later I did go out and played a round with him. There signs near the trees that said "Beware of Alligators".  We lost a few balls that day.  Balls that went astray in the woods or near the water...we just took the penalty. Lol. 

Barry White, "I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little More".  "I'm so in love with you there's no way out". Wooo!!!   We continued golfing for quite several years. I took private lessons.  I drugged  my best friend into golfing.  Shawn had golf lessons. I got better, but I was mediocre. I liked golfing. People ask how can someone possibly like golf.  Well for me it was the idea that this little ball was getting the best of me!!  Humph.  It was my mission to show that ball who was in charge.  Lol. I guess I need to complete the mission. 

The Whispers, " I Only Meant My Feet".  I had a vendor who also golfed.  I joined her league and ended up being a member of the Executive Women's Golf Organization.  The vendor also invited me to a womens golf weekend in Port Austin, Michigan.  This also included night golf.  Bring flashlights and beer and don't be surprised when you go to hit your ball and a cow greets you on the other side of the fence.  Lol. I went several years. I had a great time. 

The Isley Brothers, "Hello, It's Me ".  Remember the fear and terror manager I ended up working for?  She'd send me to golf tournaments to represent her. I liked the scrambles. :)  When I was a manager, my staff and I would go play after work or on the weekends.  That was clearly team building. :)   Eventually life got in the way and I stopped playing.  As I finish I'll tell you my favorite hole. It's at Rouge Park. You come to the tee.  You look for the flag. There's the Rouge River in front of you and a hill behind the river.  As you look up the hill, you notice a lot of balls imbedded in mud in the wall.  You look up and see the flag. OMG. It's par 3. Straight up.  Holy crap.  Lol.  Let's just I've never parred that hole!!!

"Butterflies", Michael Jackson.  So much golfing stuff I've left out...anyway the move to Vegas has me thinking about playing there....not when it's 110 degrees, but eventually. It's decent exercise and I'd be outside. And no I haven't mentioned this to Brian. I think he'll like the idea.   <waves to Brian>.  :-D

Signing off with George a Benson, "Turn Your Love Around".  Dialysis tie in?  I want to get more active.  At least while I can. I don't know when or if I may experience complications.  I feel like I need live my life to the fullest while I can!!!I.  I've always done some kind of sport since I can remember.   In the last throes of emptying out the house. Look for the "For Sale" next week.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment