Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, July 4, 2014

The "Of Course I'm at Dialysis On July 4th", edition.

iPad shuffled to Whitesnake, "Here I Go Again".  Lol. Song title matches the blog title. Here I go again.  Dialysis stops for no one.  As you know, or maybe not, the only holidays that we don't dialyze are Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day.  And  we don't skip treatment, the schedules are just adjusted so we have those days off. See, dialysis clinics are closed only on Sundays. To accommodate those holidays, the clinics close on the holiday and open on Sunday. So yeah, I dialyzed on Christmas Eve day in Las Vegas. On a side note...the clinic I went to in Vegas was in a building at Meadows Mall. We had to compete for dialysis treatment center parking with Christmas shopping parking.  Back to here. A few folks aren't here today...holiday.  What a surprise (sarcasm).

"A Real Mother For Ya", Johnnie "Guitar" Watson. "Rents gone up higher, got the parents lyin".  Story time!!!  You know by now I went to concert at Chene Park Wednesday evening. Last time I went to Chene Park was maybe 15 years ago?  Saw Will Downing and had backstage passes. That's another story for another day. Prior to that, Brian and I went there on a date...I think he had just finished the police academy. Yes it was a real date. Lol. He stopped at a party store and got a bottle of ...something. I don't remember. We get to the park.  I get searched..carrying a big ass Coach Bucket bag (remember those?). Brian didn't get searched!!   He gets in with the bottle of .. Hennessy?  I'm like wtf?  Lol.  It's the story of our relationship.  I'm the troublemaker and Brian's the angel. More like I'm the fall gal and Brian ends up looking like a really hood guy. And I'm sure no one will believe me. That's ok. After 30 years I'm used to it. Lol. And no we've been married for almost 27, but we met in 1983. :)

"Sun Goddess", Ramsay Lewis and Earth, Wind & Fire. This stands the test of time, too. So back to Wednesday.  I have a friend from childhood, Tony. We met when his family moved to the neighborhood. We were about 7 years old. Fast forward to the late 70s.  I go to a club, he's there with a band he's producing. Heck, I hadn't seen him in years and had no idea he was a musician or was producing groups.  Was nice to see him.  Moving into the early 80s, my best friend and my cousin went to Orthea's Place. Guess who's there with his band?  Tony!  And his band was Five Special (remember "Why Leave Us Alone"?).  He was the bass player and the leader. My friends thought it was kinda cool I knew the band leader.  I did too because my cousin is gorgeous and I'd always considered myself her wingman.  Lol. 

"Gold Digger", Kanye and Jamie Foxx. Lol, Kim Kardashian came to mind. Ok, I'll go sit in the corner. I was bad. Well, the next time I saw Tony was around 2007 and the Facebook thing. Finally, we'd see him at the neighborhood restaurant we go to after dialysis. He told me about his show.  I'd been trying to go see him for years, but with the effects of the failing kidneys, I just couldn't go.  This time he let me know about the concert. I told Brian. And Tony caught him too. So we went and got some tickets. 

I was a little concerned because the concert was on treatment day. That meant some walking from the car to the seats. And sitting 3 or so hours for the concert. Of course I'd be able to leave, but I not only wanted to see T Money Green and Roadwork and the main act, Morris Day and the Time!!  The middle act, not so much...I digress. We left early, got a close parking spot...lol. They're all reasonably close. So the walk was a nonissue.  Just a few stairs to navigate. So far so good. The seats, eh.  My back hurt after a while, but I didn't crash or get tired. Lol. I went deaf, but that's another story. 

"Feel the Fire", Peabo Bryson.  Tony's group came on.  Old school G-Funk. Oh did I tell you?  He worked with Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre?  That's his bass you're hearing on their songs. :)  Great set and then he did his solo thing on his bass. OMG. His bass was the best of all of the evening acts. He made that bass sing and dance!!!  The next act was ok.  I thought the singers were a little screechy, but the horns rocked.  

Finally Morris Day and the Time.  I'd seen them at Cobo in the early  80s...with Vanity 6 and Prince. They've been performing for over 30 years.  And they put on a show !!!  The suits, the fedoras and of course, "Somebody Bring Me a Mirror". "WHAT TIME IS IT?"  Lol. I probably forgot more songs than I remembered, but once they started playing, it came rushing back. And no, I have none of their music on the iPad. That will be fixed very soon!!  I had a ball.  And my hearing returned within 30 minutes. Lolololol. Also the crowd tickled me. These were my (age group) people. Lol. I'm looking forward to more concerts.  :-)  For record the other band was Larry Lee and the Back in the Day Band. No, they weren't horrible. 

Signing off with Chaka Khan, "And The Melody Still Lingers On (A Night in Tunisia)".  Photos of the marquee, T Money Green, and Morris Day and the Time.  Have a great 4th of July.  I already made the potato salad. Recipe handed down from my grandfather....and yes, Shawn can make it also!  4 generations. :-D



No comments:

Post a Comment