Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, July 7, 2014

The "Who Knew I'd Like The Transformers?", edition.

iPad shuffled to Heatwave, "The Groove Line" .  How was your holiday?  Had ribs at my mother-in-law's house. Brian's brother did the ribs.  Always good. Brian and I planned our own holiday dinner.  We had it on Saturday. Red hot sausages, green beans, sauted corn and potato salad.  I'm pleasantly surprised that I made everything except the sausages.  Well Brian did help with peeling the potatoes, dicing the onions and mixing the potato salad. 5 pounds of potatoes and all the fixins are a heavy stir.

Sunday was movie day.  Except for Malificent, I've deferred to Brian's choice. They've turned out to be entertaining. Yesterday was no exception.  We went to AMC Star John R.  The theater with the reclining seats. <3.  We got our (way to much) popcorn and (way to much) cups for drinks and settled in for The Transformers...in 3D of course.  The movie did not disappoint. We were in it for the special effects.  I am a bit taken aback that I enjoyed robots with personalities turning into trucks and cars. When the cartoons were out, I was not only out of age, but it marketed to boys. What a waste by Hasbro.  Girls could really get into strong female Transformers. I digress. 

The Delphonics, "Trying to Make a Fool Out of Me".  The movie was like a live action cartoon. Mark Wahlberg has giant forearms. Kelsey Grammar was suffiently evil.  The teenage girl was a girl, but she had balls when necessary. Stanley Tucci's female assistants kicked ass...literally.  My feminist side considered that the movies could have more female super heroes, but that's a discussion for another day.  Optimus Prime and his crew were pretty cool. 

Michael Jackson, "I Can't Help It". Written by Stevie Wonder.  There's a version on Youtube of Stevie playing this song. Check it out. The other thing about The Transformers is noticing Detroit in the movie! Lol. I forgot that some of the filming was done here. My first clue was in an early scene where a boat that looked like Boblo boat. Especially a boat named Ste. Clair.  I was going to ask Brian, but it was loud and the movie moved kinda fast.  A while later during a chase scene Brian says that's the Packard plant.  Later on I saw the People Mover.  It looked like it was facing east near Woodward.  I know the critics didn't care for the movie, but sometimes all you need just a great special effects and the ability to follow a story without thinking too hard. :)

The Dramatics, "Toast to the Fool". Welcome back.  I guess iPad put them back on the shuffle rotation!  Lol. As I was thinking about the scenes shot in Detroit it reminded me of another movie shot here.  You knew I had story, didn't you?  Some of my readers may remember this one. I had to look up the movie.  I remembered it starred Harrison Ford and I knew the filming took place in the late 80s or early 90s. The movie was "Presumed Innocent". 

We were at work at CAYMC...City County Building at the time.  It was Good Friday. For some reason, the director, deputy director and all of the managers were gone.  A seminar I think?  Our offices were in mid expansion. We acquired more office space on the north side of the building. Anyway, the uber tech guys were on that side of the building.  One comes running over to our side, opens the door and hollers, "Harrison Ford is filming!"  Whoa.  My side of the building empties.  A stampede of programmers.  Lol.  We line up at the windows.  See, since the remodel was in effect, there was no furniture in the room.  It was just a long line of windows.  Just enough space for all of us camp out and watch!!!!  To say we were excited was an understatement.  And the uber tech guy was (in theory) supposed to be in charge.  Lol. 

"Let The Good Times Roll", from Q's Jook Joint...assorted artists, but you can bet it's Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles, and Q's big band. The horns. The horns!!!!  Now this was when the Greyhound bus station was still standing. So we're on the fifth floor looking slightly down on the rooftop parking of the bus station.  A scene was filmed where some folks hosed an area wet and  simulated rain. Harrison Ford and Bonnie Bedalia ran through the rain under an umbrella. We thought that was the coolest thing ever. Apparently we were easily entertained.  Lol.  

 Tina Turner, "Proud Mary".  After the scene was completed, Harrison Ford came over to our side of the building, lit a cigarette and looked over the side, looking down on Larned.  As if on cue, we all started yelling and banging on the windows. Roflmao. This windows are thick and double paned.  I have no idea why we though he'd hear us.  Well guess what?  He did.  I can only imagine that employees on other floors may have done the same thing, but there were at least 30 of us. Lol. Harrison Ford looked up, smiled and waved at us!!!!!!  OMG. There was no more work done that day.  We talked about what happen for the rest of that half day......like none if us were there and saw it.  Rofl.  Did I ever see the movie?  Eventually, when it was on cable.  I smiled at the running the rain scene.  I saw it when it was filmed.  :)

So where's the dialysis tie in?  It's in the meals. Yes the sausage is not on the good for me list, but every now and then I splurge.  Besides I had the green beans and corn...no baked beans.  Potato salad?  I boil the hell out the potatoes. Bye bye potassium.  And popcorn at the movies...no salt. I do need to watch the portion. I didn't want anything to eat for the rest of the day.  Bleah. And even though they gave me a gigantor cup at the theater, I loaded it on ice and didn't come near to filling it up. I avoided the cola and had ginger ale!!!  Next time, though, I'll ask for a smaller cup...or get a bottle of water.  

Signing out with  Five Special, "Why Leave Us Alone". That's Tony on bass. :)   Have a great day.  I have 8 more dialysis sessions left here!!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment