Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, July 14, 2014

The "I'm Ok. How Are You?", edition.

iPad shuffled to Isaac Hayes, "Joy, Part 1". Had to crank up the volume to fully appreciate the timbre of his voice. :)  We're not supposed to eat or drink during treatment, but that seems to differ between treatment clinics.  Most clinics let you bring candy and they supply crushed ice. When I started at my clinic, the rule were pretty specific about not bringing food or drink into the treatment area.  The rules are posted in the waiting area, and at the entrance to the treatment area.  I asked if I could bring my Jolly Ranchers.  That was fine. During dialysis fluid is sucked out of me and I get a little dry.  Ice is not supplied here ... Apparently patients at my beloved ghetto clinic were stealing ice (wtf?  Lol).  But we can bring candy.

Usher, "There Goes My Baby".  Most patients comply...at least I thought they did. On first shift people bring candy...jolly ranchers, lemon heads, licorice...and I've switched to smarties.  Second shift it all changes.  People bring snacks.  Or they have snacks delivered them. I noticed some of drivers bringing snacks to patients and taking orders.  They'd come back with pop, Cheetos, Doritos, chips, Subway, etc.  Now look at that list. Sodium and phosphourus. At least the sodas weren't colas.  Now the rules are being enforced. I haven't seen any push back.  

Jimmy Ruffin, "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted".  So right about now I'm pissed.  I was late to my chair this morning by 5 minutes. A very, very rare occasion. I get called out. WTF??  I'm 5 minutes late because of "digestive" issues. Of course I could have come to the chair on time and relieve my self in the chair....seriously.  When I'm on time, I'm never hooked up to the machine at 6:15. NEVER.  Oh geez...as I write this I'm getting more and more pissed off. I need to calm down. I'm itching for a fight. <breathe>.  The tech tells me I need to cut my treatment by 25 minutes. Um, no. Repeat after me. Your kidneys work 24/7. I'm hooked up to an artificial kidney for 10.5 hours a week.  I want all of my time.  Especially on days when I've waited up to an hour?  Bullshit.  

I tell her if it's a problem I can talk to a supervisor.  She explains that the later patients have to wait and dominoes for the rest of the day. No shit Sherlock. I've experienced 3rd shift....remember when I went off on the tech because I waited so long?  You know, shit happens on the floor. Bleed outs, crashing because of low blood pressure, clots, etc.  Anyway the tech wants to keep talking about it. >:-(
She wants to keep explaining. I told her I wasn't an idiot. And I was through discussing it with her.  Lol now I'm stuck with her for 2.5 more hours. I could train her in more effective customer service.  My partner reminded me I'll be gone in less than 2 weeks. I guess I'll go out with flair. 

Signing off Young MC, "Bust a Move".  Oh yeah, we went to see "Tammy" yesterday. We'd seen so many 3D movies that I was expecting the glasses for "Tammy". Lol.  We also previews for more movies that weren't 3D.  The movie was funny and enjoyable. The surprise was Kathy Bates and Dan Akroyd.  Yeah, writing about the movie made me smile and calmed me down. My blood pressure spiked for a while.  Enjoy your day. I know I will. :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment