Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The "I Like Central Air and I Cannot Lie", edition .

iPad shuffled to Larry Graham, "The Jam".  Loved it the first time I heard it. FUNK. "Shugah!!!"  My partner hasn't been here since last Wednesday. To say I'm concerned is an understatement. I know his transportation was being fickle.  I also know that he will make up missed treatments on alternate days. I'm going to ask a nurse if he's ok.  Last time I saw him I told him I'll miss him.  He helped me learn how take charge of my treatment and speak up.  Maybe using less expletives. Lol. "my name is Larry Graham, but they call me...."  Insert bass solo here.  Sorry, I got distracted.  I hope I see my partner on Friday.  That's my last day here.  Oh yeah, the groundbreaking for the center is today.  I told the charge nurse thanks a lot. You start construction on the new and shiny center just as I leave.  But yeah, I'll take the move to Vegas over a new center in Detroit " 2014 Most snow in the state ever", Michigan.  Lol.

Santana and Rob Thomas, "Smooth". Now that's a good combination. :)  It was hot and muggy yesterday. This summer is screwy.  It hasn't been really hot. It's actually been quite comfortable, but you still expect a few days in the 90s.  That's how you know it's really summer. Well we got the one day yesterday...a bit muggy with temps over 90.  That's the weather that makes me glad we have central air.  Even if it's just one day, the AC has paid for itself!!!!  Actually, we got it installed in 2003.  Let me tell you a story.......

The Dramatics, "Fell For You". "Your kisses make me dizzy in the head". That winter (2003) our furnace gave up...it was DOA...on what seemed to be the coldest day ever recorded on earth.  I went to bed wearing a knit hat. :-(   We did get it repaired, but it wasn't trying to go much further. It was the original furnace, over 50 years old.  It had a good life.  I told Brian,  as God as my witness I would never wear a hat to bed again. 

Peabo Bryson, " I'm So Into You". Now on another front, Mom and Dad would return to Detroit every summer. In the summer we had every window in the house open and a flock of fans. I'd come home from work  and she'd be cooking feasts. Both ovens going and 2-3 burners going on the stove.  She'd be all hot and sweaty. The kitchen was hotter than it was outside. Betcha thought I was gonna say hotter than hell.  Well yeah, that too. Lol lol.  We'd tell her not to, but she didn't listen to any of us. Of course.  

Well we knew we'd be getting a new furnace.  I suggested we just go for the gusto and get central air also.  Lol. I got no argument from Brian. That summer we priced out vendors, selected one and work started Monday, August 11, 2003.  All kinds of people showed up. Folks to disconnect the old system and electricians and a whole different crew for the installation.    In order to the get the old furnace out, it had to cut in half.  Four people struggled to get each half up the basement stairs and out the door.  That thing was HUGE. Lol. I was stuck in the basement for a while (I was on the computer. And it was cool down there.)   And we also had a central air unit from when the house was built. Didn't use, to expensive. That had to be moved.  That unit was huge also. All of a sudden the furnace room was huge!!  Also the electric system was updated to accommodate the new heating and cooling system. And we moved from fuses to circuit breakers.  That was cool because we couldn't use the microwave and toaster at the same time.  I digress. 

Steely Dan, "FM". It took 3 days for the installation. They finished around 3:00 PM. On August 14. The final instructions from the installer was to run the AC on high at 68 for 24 hours.  We put on sweaters within 15 minutes. But we sure liked that instead of the heat. So a little after 4. My mom was in the recliner watching Judge Judy. And yeah, I'm on the couch watching. All of a sudden the power goes out.  Then it comes back on....for about 15 seconds and then it goes out for good. I thought we blew a fuse or some thing. Stepped outside and my neighbors were stepping outside. Uh oh. Then I get a call from my friend in California. She says hey your power went out.  Lol. Well at least we weren't responsible for blowing the power for the neighborhood .... Or the Eastern Seaboard!!!!!  Anyway, the furnace and central air have paid for itself for 11 years.  And the bills decreased from using a much more efficient system. But just our luck, we got brand new air conditioning and it went out that same day. :(

Signing off with "You Send Me", Roy Ayers. I just really like this song. I downloaded a lot of Stevie Wonder, but I guess it didn't make it to the shuffle...at least not yet.  And what the heck?  94 degrees yesterday and 75 today?  Blah. Have a great Wednesday!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment