Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, October 7, 2013

The "Some Events in Our Lives Stay With Us a Forever", edition.

iPod shuffled to The Main Ingredient, "Goodbye My Love". I really enjoy Cuba Gooding's voice. So unique and recognizable. So yeah, memories.  Lol.  Gonna do a "Connections" type of thing. Do you remember the TV show "Connections"?  I want to say it was on PBS, but I'm not sure. Anyway, my dad got me interested. An example of an episode would explain, how the creation of the longbow influenced the creation of the computer.  I'm going to have a starting point and end with a connection to dialysis. "I Just Want to Celebrate", Rare Earth, Motown. ;-)  So my starting point is Shay Lake, Michigan and I'm about age 15.  

I've mentioned before that my family had a summer cottage at Shay Lake.  Shay Lake is about an hour and a half drive from Detroit, in Tuscola County, Michigan. Closest villages are Mayville and Kingston. Caro is little further.  Marlette is further still.  Sandusky to the east and Saginaw to the west are about the same distance at around 30 miles. The cottage was small. Two small bedrooms. One large rectangle room served as the living room and dining room. The kitchen was separated by a bar/counter.  A final room we called the back porch where there was a side door. It also served as storage, until dad and his crew built a garage (that's a story for another day). The bathroom was tiny and the shower stall was a contraption that was not built in. Lol. We had to turn on the water to the cottage when we arrived and turned it off when we left.  And the roads were all dirt roads. Ok. Enough of a description. Those of who've been there know exactly how it looked.   :-)

My friends and I all had some type of small motorcycle. Not a mini bike.  We spent our summer weekends riding those bikes or swimming in the lake. The property owners association built us a basketball court. Well actually, they rounded us up to build the court.  Yep, enough of our parents were contractors and we'd be recruited for cheap or volunteer labor. Lol. I'll elaborate on that another time.  We got skills.  ;-D.  We rode the bikes around Shay Lake, the farms and country side. 

We found some of the most magnificent places. Hidden lakes, hidden dog kennels. Fields full of wild flowers. We'd just stop and admire, or get some fishing poles, or go in the evening to roast marshmellows.  How many of us?  The number could go from 8 to 20 kids or more. But there was a core group of about 8. Anyway, my favorite spot in the whole.wide.world was the field of wildflowers.  This field is the start of my connection. 

"Take Me As I Am", Mary J. Blige. The next connection. My senior year at my all girls Catholic High School - Immaculata, we had a senior retreat at Cappucin Monk mansion in Grosse Pointe. One of exercises, we were in the basement and taught relaxing techniques.  The floor and walls were covered in carpet. Once we'd mastered relaxing, a tape of the last days of Jesus was played. I recall being so immersed, that I felt like I was there. Of course I also remember a few snores - I ain't mentioning names. Lol. One of the techniques was to find that place that makes you happy and calm.  

Stevie Wonder, "Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You)". This is where I lost WiFi. Next connection. The relaxing techniques have stayed with me my entire life. So now you get it.  My happy place is that hidden field with the wildflowers. It's been my relaxing place for almost forty years. During the sticking of needles or when I am anxious, I immediately go to my happy place. Lol. Everyone needs a happy place. When I'm there, I immediate relax and can move forward.  

So there you the dialysis "connection".  I talked to the IT tech at the center about losing WiFi the last several days. He suggested that Henry Ford may be doing an upgrade.  Been there. Done that.  Hopefully it'll be completed soon and I can push out the blog at its earlier time. 

No sign off song, as I am home now...Have a great Monday and Go Detroit Tigers!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment