Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, October 4, 2013

The, "I'm Late Today. Let's Thank Back Spasms For That"

National Kidney Foundation Advocacy in Action

iPod shuffled to Christopher Williams, "Dreamin".  Heh, these back spasms are more like a nightmare, rather than a dream. I have no idea what my original topic was for today.  Pain makes you concentrate on pain.  Since Sunday afternoon I started to experience mild spasms on my lower right back. I thought some Tylenol and a heating pad would take care of that.  Well no. It didn't.  Monday morning, I took some Tylenol and went to dialysis.  The lead social worker noticed I had a pained smile (what...are social workers psychic or something?).  I told her about the back spasm. She suggested I let the nephrologist know.  Perhaps he'd prescribe muscle relaxant.  That would be cool, except I wouldn't see him until Wednesday. 

I made it through Tuesday with heating pad and Tylenol.  Tuesday evening I hurt a bit too much to climb the stairs. "Nothing But Love", The Five Heartbeats". Who doesn't like Choirboy on this song. In the movie, the music moves him and he hits and holds that high note.  Lol.  So Tuesday night I slept downstairs.  Still treating myself with the heating pad and Tylenol.  Doc did his Wednesday visit. Told me to try Aleve.  Was ok and able to climb the stairs.  Thursday was fine until getting ready for bed.  I could barely move. Spasms ahoy. I slept downstairs.  

I awoke this morning feeling fine until I tried to sit up.  Have you ever had muscle spasms in your back? Some moves make you stop instantly, like playing freeze tag.  Well it took me 90 minutes to get out of bed. ;-(  I'd sit up, the spasm would start. I couldn't even lay down quickly to ease the spasm pain. I'd have to freeze and try to relax my body.  I did this for 90 minutes, making more progress, until I could stand up.  Of course I've missed my chair time. "Sigh". 

Instead of going to the treatment center, Brian took me to ER. Of course, the pain had decreased dramatically.  I did have residual pain, which allowed me to be functional.  The resident and the ER doctor were satisfied that I did have muscle spasms.  They had nothing to do with the lack of functioning kidneys. (Well that's one good thing!!!).  I was given a muscle relaxant at the hospital and prescriptions for the muscle relaxant and pain killers.  Sly and the Family Zone, "Sing a Simple Song".  Another album I wore the grooves off!  You know I like funk. 

I'd called the dialysis center when I realized I couldn't get out of bed and let them know I was going to ER.....once I could move.  Once it looked like I'd get treated for the back, I called center again to see if I come at a later time.  They called me back and gave me a time.  I made it there, chock full of muscle relaxant..and a little smiley (!).  

I'm home now, with my heating pad and we'll see how it goes.  No sign off song.  Midway thru typing, I lost the WiFi connection at the center, but still have a great weekend.  Also check out the link at the top. It's information on Medicare cutting off post-transplant drugs after 3 years. WTF???.  Hint::::blame the lobbyists for the for-profit dialysis providers.  Remember, $75,000/year for dialysis, $17,000/year for post-transplant drugs.  If you lose your drugs, you get back on dialysis and start costing $75,000 again. Fiscal responsibility, indeed.

1 comment: