Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The "I'm Wearing a Rainbow Wig at a Treatment Today", edition.

iPod shuffled to The Main Ingredient, "Rolling Down A Mountainside".  This song highlights Cuba Gooding's voice and the harmonies of the group.  Plus you get the benefit of 70's guitar effects - lol.  Well since I won't be at dialysis tomorrow, I'm doing my Halloween thing today. I've like the dress up part of Halloween.  When I worked we wore costumes, decorated our offices and cubicles and passed out candy.  So anyway I'm the only one here in "costume".  I had some candy (renal safe, of course) to pass out, but I left it at home. I'll bring it Friday.  It can be my 1 year anniversary of finding out my kidneys failed.  Hmmmm.  To make it sound more positive, it can be my year anniversary of the day my life was saved.  How's that?  :)

Starting next week I'll recap the events which led up to me being here. But right now I need to mention some friends. Geez, I still haven't changed the time on the iPod. I thought it would reset its self, but maybe I did it and need to reset it manually.  Someone go find my memory. I forgot where I left it. :-/  lol. I have a friend who has overcome a stroke and is living successfully with diabetes. I have a friend who has overcome pancreatic cancer. They are fabulous survivors. My aunt whose kidneys failed around the same as mine, is doing better.   I need to get to Ohio to visit her. Dr. Dre, "Let Me Ride", explicit version. Heh, if you don't get the explicit version, you lose a lot of the meaning of the song. On the other hand, my kid judges me sometimes.  Lol.  

One more survivor is my Wendell.  My partner in kidney failure. Well, he's got a pretty bad infection. Remember I told you that dialysis patients are highly susceptible to infections.  He's been hospitalized for almost a month. :-(   The infections are life threatening ass kickers. In a matter of days he was unable to walk.  He's also experienced a loss of appetite.  And he still has to be dialyzed.  I'm visiting him often and am there for him. He'll get better, but it'll take time. 

I get to dialysis today and the holiday schedules are out.  The days have to equitable and staff deserve days off. So the week of Thanksgiving, instead of Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I'll go Sunday, Tuesday and Friday.  Lol. I kinda like going the day after the holiday. Dialyze that dinner away!!!  I have a few of Diana Ross songs and I don't  know how or why. She not one of my favorites. I skip her songs. Anyway the Christmas schedule starts Sunday, December 22, 2013 and ends January 4, 2014.  They did this last year, but I was still adjusting to the world of dialysis. I guess I just marvel at what a difference a year makes.  I was using a walker, crashing after treatment, doing my Black Friday shopping online - all my Christmas shopping online.  Trying desperately to make some kind of Thanksgining dinner for my family, that was renal safe.  Today I walk into the center with a rainbow wig - lol. However, that is tempered with a notice of the passing of a fellow patient. The reality of failed kidneys.  Well, I made people smile today and I think that's important. :-)

Happy Halloween.  Watch your candy intake.  Lol. They've given us list of candy that is better for us, but also if you just have to indulge, we have documentation of the amount of potassium or phosporus is involved.  Always cognizant. Heh, the food compliance and associated labs are important for STAYING on the transplant list. Lol if you cheat you get caught. Blood drawn for labs every 2 weeks.  Ah. I was signing off, and I shall.  Signing off with "I Can't Help It", Michael Jackson. So pretty. "I wouldn't help even if I could".  :-)

Photo of me in the wig. I tried to smile.  I look the kid afraid of Santa Claus ( you know who you are ). Lol. Even my take told me to smile. It took 8 tries to get this one. Lol

1 comment:

  1. As usual, thanks! Have a spooktacular holloween, my friend! XOXO

    ReplyDelete