Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, November 1, 2013

The "I Was Two Hours Away From Death One a Year Ago Today", edition.

iPod shuffled to the Gap Band.   Wait for it......"Early in the Morning"!  Jackpot!  Lol. Party starter!!  Oklahoma two-step soul. :-D  November 1. Time flies. I look back on the past year and what an experience that was. I can't dwell on that, though. I have a lot to look toward and a lot of work and planning to do. My kid's pre Kindergarten teacher called it Plan-Do-Review.  I call it project management (lol. The kids learned it as part of curriculum. My employer paid tens of thousands to train me in the same thing. Lol?).  What's coming up?  Another trip to Vegas, a trip to Ohio.  The kid coming home for the holidays. More ridding the house of stuff - a visit from the Salvation Army truck. If you think you may want anything, let me know before we call the Salvation Army. Everything must go!!!

There's also my high school reunion, and all of the activities we've planned leading up to the reunion. Yeah, I'm on the planning committee. I missed the first meeting because I was out of town.  Made the last one. In Lake Orion. Lol. I was able to slough off Brian for a few hours. The drive is about an hour from my house.  I mentioned before, we passed through Lake Orion on the way to our cottage back in the day.  I enjoyed the drive.  We'd been going that way for over 50 years.  The change in scenery is impressive.  We were going there before the interstate was built!!  Before The Palace was built. That land was a giant swamp. A giant landfill has appeared. That sucker is huge!!!  There was farmland on Lapeer road leading up to the town. I remember when the Kmart didn't exist. There was a Gulf gas station.  The station was one of the first to have a store inside. People thought that was a bad idea. Lol. 

Phyllis Hyman, "When You Get Right Down to It".  What a loss. Mental illness and drug addiction.  Isn't it something. You think someone has it all...and they don't. We don't know what demons others have and they don't know ours.  Back to the drive to Lake Orion. That little lake before the big lake?  Was a big ole swampy lake.  Then one year there were apartments there!  I won't even go into how the north side of town or Oxford has changed. Lol. Mickey Lolich used to have a donut store near Indianwood Road. :)

Now that I've gone down memory lane (Lapeer Road / M-24), I can move on. I looked up the directions to the host's house. I still got turned around...not lost. I never did see the sign for the street I needed  to turn on. I passed it..checked my phone gps, turned back and made the turn at the golf course.  After about a mile of twisty turny road, it opened up to a little penninsula. Houses on both sides. :-)  I found my destination.  I was a little dismayed.  The house was set back real close to the lake......down a crapload of stairs!!!  Lol. A months ago I would have just turned around and gone back home.  I made it down the stairs, entered the house and saw the most magnificent view of the lake. Ducks, swans, pontoons rolling by.  People in wet suits on personal watercrafts.  We didn't get too distracted. Lol.  We all eventually arrived. There were 7 of us planning the reunion.  It was great seeing women I hadn't seen since graduation. :-)  Jackson 5, "I'll Be There".   Lol. We were J5 fans back then. Who remembers our classmate who's father got the invitation to Jermaine's wedding. And do you remember what the invitation looked like? 

So yeah. A year ago I was almost dead, curled up in a fetal ball unable to move, gasping for air trying to breath, more frightened than I had ever been. Today, I'm sitting in my life saving, life preserving dialysis chair making plans oft the future. :-)   Yay!!!

Side note that has nothing to do with the topic.  When I used my iPad, it would automatically connect to the guest network.  About a month ago I'd connect and then it would drop around 8 AM.  I asked the IT guy about it.  He thought Henry Ford Health Systems was doing an upgrade. Well as of 2 weeks ago, I am redirected to a guest login. :)

Have a great weekend.  Plan that Thanksgiving dinner...order the rolls now. :)  Signing off with Usher, "There Goes My Baby". "Loving everything you do".

1 comment:

  1. I so wanted to be there, but I wound up in ICU for a little bit. Slowly doing better now. On top of it all, I move Sunday. A lot to be said for having two loving, helpful sons. Hope to see you at the next reunion meeting!

    ReplyDelete