Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, November 24, 2014

The "Confessions of a Prime Rib Snob", edition.

Ipad shuffled to Jill Scott, "A Long Walk".  I am a prime rib snob. Or I should say I'm picky about prime rib.  How did this happen?  When did I admit to it?  As you know our 27th anniversary was Friday. I did have dialysis on Friday so Brian made reservations for dinner on Saturday at Lawry's, The Prime Rib. Yeah, I did feel out of sorts for most of Friday. Brian's scores huge points for considering the treatment day and after effects. Back to how I became a prime rib snob. 

Steely Dan, "Deacon Blues".  Years ago. I don't remember when, a group of my coworkers went to Las Vegas. A few of us wanted to have a meal at an upscale restaurant. Well, 5:26 and yelling lady is here...yelling. Anyway, it was decided we'd go to Emeril's Delmonico Steakhouse at The Venetian. Reservations were made and we'd meet there at whatever time. As Brian and I made our way to the restaurant, a coworker, Anthony, was headed that way also. He was with some guy we didn't know.  Anthony says, "Guess who I found?"  The guy was the Oracle Corp account rep for the City. The guy says Oracle will be taking us out to dinner. Oh cool. We knew it was going cost to eat there so we were prepared for sticker shock, but hey, the tab was being taken care of one of our vendors.  And yes, we actually did talk business. How fortuitous that 3 of the decision makers were there!!  

The Moments, "Not on the Outside". Old school basement music. ;-)  Long story short, we had the best prime rib I'd ever tasted. I mean that prime rib rib exceeded anything I'd ever had by leaps and bounds. Not to long after, I had prime rib at a buffet. OMG. That was the toughest piece of meat I'd ever encountered. Huge strands of meat trying to get stuck in my teeth. And it took forever to chew. Bleah. Lol. I was ruined. I now had standards or any kind of beef.  Of couse I was all over the Kobe Beef at the Bellagio.  Lol.  And I love walking into Morton's and getting assaulted by the aroma of the steaks. And Texas de Brazil. I think that's what prompted Brian to select Lawry's. We took Dad with us to Texas de Brazil in Septmber for Brian's birthday  and he loved it. They offered us the prime rib and it melted in your mouth. And as an aside, that particular slice of beef was medium. Rolled me right off of always ordering medium well. That slice of prime rib was the best I'd had since Emeril's. 

Nas and Chisette Michelle, "Can't Forget About You".  So now we're at Lawry's. The service was impeccable. I got a glass of the best Moscato I'd ever had. The server made a spinning salad at the table. Then here comes a guy with a giant silver cart full of prime rib.  The server asks what cut I want and the doneness and instructs the carver.  I get the traditional cut. The carver also serves a choice of mashed potato and creamed spinach and creamed corn from the big silver cart. Oh yeah, the carver was wearing a big ass medallion. Master carver. Lol.  Of course he was in his chef outfit including the hat. And he ladles the au jus on top of the cut. And we also have 2 types of horseradish and Lawry's salt and pepper on the table (don't need any of it). Tender and tasty. Lol. I'm salivating over the memory.  And yeah, I didn't finish anything. Lol. 

Johnny Kemp,  "Just Got Paid".  After dinner, the server brought us a pumpkin cake desert....for our anniversary. And calling it just pumpkin cake is doing this marvelous creation a disservice. Lol.  We had coffee. Heh. We couldn't even finish the SHARED desert. Lol. And I couldn't finish my coffee. I was able to finish about 2/3 of the prime rib. You know what's it's like when something is sooo good and you're just too full to go on and you look wistfully at what's left?  Yeah. They boxed it for me. :-)

The Spinners, "I'll Be Around". So there you have it. I'm a prime rib snob. That's not necessarily a good thing. Good prime rib is a budget buster. But then  again, I shouldn't be eating prime rib on a regular basis, so it remains a celebratory treat. I can live with that. 

Signing off with  New Edition, "If It Isn't Love".  Friday was a pretty good dialysis day. No BP spikes. The accesses stopped bleeding in a reasonable time ( no spurting when the tech peeked - lol. She can move pretty fast to get out of the line of fire (spurting blood). Yelling lady got sedated. And is so today.  I had the quarterly meeting with my care team. I brought Brian. I'm doing good and excitedly waiting for home hemo training. I've finished my Thanksgiving day shopping. Let the cooking commence!!!  Have a good Monday. :)  



No comments:

Post a Comment