Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, November 17, 2014

The "I'm a Resident of Las Vegas, But...", edition.

Ipad shuffled  to The Jackson 5, "Maybe Tommorrow".  I am a resident of Las Vegas, Nevada. And I embrace it. But it's not easy. I mean, it's easy to live here, but I'm not ...connected. I think that's the best term. Ok. You're saying, "Pat. I have no idea what you're talking about". That's fine because I'm going to try to articulate what I mean. I'm not necessarily a political animal, but I learned Civics when I was a kid. I always knew who were my elected officials. Well. Up until the last election for City Council. But in my defense, the seats were based on regions of the City. I knew my City, County and representatives, commissioner, judges, dog catchers, etc. I knew officials in other local cities and counties. Out here, not so much. I know the mayor. I know Sen. Harry Reid. Lol. But I don't know my congressman. I have no idea the name of the other senator. Council members?  Nope. And Brian asked how were we to learn the 99 judges they have. I actually think the number of judges exceeds 99.  Lol. Anyway, I'll get there.

The Jacksons, "Show You The Way To Go". Hey. It's the ipad shuffle, not me. Lol.  On the same note, I'm weaning myself from news from Detroit.  But I still follow the sports team. However, the games are rarely televised out here. But we sure do get a lot of Lakers and Clippers and Denver. Denver?  Shrug. Lol. The thing is I could never be a fan of the Lakers or even the Clippers. Off topic.  We pass the sports book for the old Las Vegas Hilton on Sunday mornings. The parking lot is packed. Every single game televised starting at 9AM until the very last game!!  I called it the church of sports.  

The Dells, "The Love We Had (Stays on My Mind)."  We are trying to get involved. But we've been here only 3, almost 4 months.  Seems longer, doesn't it?  :-D   Yikes!!! Yelling lady is here and her lungs are strong this morning. Gonna be a long 3 hours. :-(  Well guess what Brian did this weekend?  He ran a 5K Saturday night.  Yes, I said Saturday night. It was the first event of the Las Vegas Rock and Roll Marathon.  The run wasn't to far from where we live. I thought if he drove, the distance he'd walk to get to the starting line might be the same as waking from the condo!  lol.  The route started behind the SLS, went past the Westgate (The old Las Vegas Hilton), down a street which took them onto The Strip and back to where they started.  And yes, I've got pics!!  And I'm really proud of him. <3. 

The Stylistics, "You Make Me Feel Brand New".  The marathon and the rest of the races were run on Sunday night. A marathon, a half marathon, and a half of a half marathon. The streets started closing around 2PM for the 6PM start time. Here's the thing. The Strip, Las Vegas Blvd, was closed from Sunset, which borders the south of the airport, all the way to Fremont street downtown. That made it just about impossible to go from the east side to the west side and vice versa. Pedestrians on the strip have the walkways, but vehicles would have to go crazy out of the way.  I thought it was kinda cool for the runners having the strip to themselves at night. 

The Doobie Brothers, "Black Water".  On a final note, we finally had to turn the heat on yesterday. The temps stayed in the 50s and it was in the high 30s on the way to treatment this morning.  Brian and I chuckled when we saw a news segment about cold car care. It was the tips we got for when the weather hit the 20s. And the people were warned to not take their grills inside to warm up the house.  O.K.

Signing off with Bobby Womack, "California Dreaming".  I pulled out my jacket and some sweaters. Oh yeah. I had a reasonable facsimile of Hudson's Maurice Salad waiting for him for after his 5K. And got a medal!!  Enjoy your Monday.  And stay warm. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment