Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, April 10, 2015

The "It's Been a Good Week", edition.

Good morning. How was your week?  Mine was pretty good. We started out with the Easter Dinner for Dad and his friends. We'll finish it up with a visit from friends from Detroit. And what did we do in between?  Well after dinner we cleaned up and still did treatment!  The guests apparently had such a good time that they stayed later than we expected. And that was just fine. They didn't leave until after 7 PM. They were with us for almost 4 hours. We usually start the process to start treatment between 6 and 7. On Sunday, we started after 8PM. No complaints. Both Brian and I slept during treatment..waking up when the alarms went off to take blood pressure and readings. Fortunately treatment was uneventful.  

Monday it was time to go back to water aerobics. Tuesday our last class with our acrylic teacher.  Wednesday was water aerobics again and starting the drawing class at UNLV. We figured if we were going to paint, it might help if we knew how to draw a little. The drawing teacher is pretty cool. He explained how we use the left and right sides of our brain and how if you allow the left side to dominate, your drawing is pretty bad. Of course I'm paraphrasing. So he had us do exercises to start training the right side of our brains. Lol. I'm not ready to show you those drawings, but we understood what happened. 

Thursday was Dad's birthday. We gave him his cards and a gift. I posted his birthday on Facebook.  I showed him his birthday wishes. He really liked seeing the birthday wishes. He called it the birthday card that keeps on giving. He also had birthday wishes on his own Facebook page. I'll show him everything today. He also liked looking at the photos that I'd posted. He also got a lot of phone calls, including calls from my brother and from Shawn. He always likes that. 

Brian and I had some errands to run early in the day. When we returned home, we took Dad shopping. See, he needed a new mattress. His current mattress is pretty low and when he tries to get up from the bed, he has to bounce to get the momentum to get up. Sound familiar?  Lol. When Brian and I purchased our new mattress when we moved in, he laughed at the fact that our mattress was fairly high off the bed, but it was the natural height of the mattress and box spring.  He joked we would need a step ladder to get in. Well. Fast forward.  We took,him to a mattress store.  He tried out several mattresses and selected one he liked. Looks like he'll need a step ladder. Ha!  Seriously, he got a nice mattress and it sits high enough that he doesn't have to bounce on the bed 20 times to get enough momentum to lift himself off the bed. The bed will be delivered Monday. 

I got my labs back. Well what happens is Brian takes my blood and we send the samples to the lab. Part of the supplies and process is we have a centrifuge, tube holders and packages to to send the blood. I guess Davita has a huge account with Fedex. Brian calls Fedex to let the know to pick up the blood. There is no cost to us. Well I'm sure there is, but you know what I'm saying. So if we know we're going to draw blood on Monday, then on Monday, Brian calls Fedex with the account number and requests a pick up.  Sooooo.  Pickup was Tuesday. We were supposed to draw on Sunday, but we were too tired for dinner.  I get an email from Davita that the lab results are ready and I log on to the account to see the results.  Since I've been doing home hemodialysis, my labs are just fantastic. I can also see all my lab results since I started using Davita. My phosphourus and potassium numbers are almost too low!  One day, I'm going to splurge on a spicy Bloody Mary.  Yum!  And maybe some avocado.  Still scared of bananas. Lol. But health wise, home hemodialysis has exceeded my expectations.  I've very quickly become a rabid advocate of home hemo.  And I do understand that it's not for everyone. And. I've got some exciting news about my home hemo. I'll go into detail later. 

Well.. That's it for today. I had one other something I wanted to write, but it's slipped my mind. Ah well. Lol. Have a great weekend. Apparently Las Vegas is going through it's windy season. Lol lol. Who knew?  Oh yeah I remembered as I was proofreading. I got a response from The National Kidney Foundation. There is a contact in Las Vegas, but Vegas is part of the Souther California retail area. NKF had the Vegas office contact me. I've found my precious kidney walk. It'll be in October. In the meantime I'll be involved with health fairs in the area!  Yay!  I'm also going to talk with my social worker about resuming the mentoring.   Ok. Now I'm signing off!!!  

Photo of Mom and Dad at their 50th anniversay celebration and photo of a sample lab report.  


No comments:

Post a Comment