Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, April 6, 2015

The "The Weekend Was Pretty Nice", edition.

Our weekend was pretty nice. I attended sorority meeting Saturday morning. It seems I joined just in time to for the 50th anniversary of the chapter. I also forgot that I need to bring a checkbook to meetings. Lol. Its all good. No, I'm not attending the anniversary activities. The gala weekend is in 2 weeks and we aren't prepared, but I'll participate in future activities. 

After I left the meeting, I drove down Las Vegas Blvd. I turn into the street just south of downtown. I like driving down the blvd on Saturday because it's a great place to people watch. I pass by the pawn shop featured on Pawn Stars. There's always a line of people waiting to get in. In fact, there's an entire business outside the shop.  Parking lot, souvenirs,  refreshments!  Security guards. And always a substantial line.  I also pass several wedding chapels. I saw Elvis outside of one of the chapels this past Saturday. I was also behind a guy in his low rider and I got treated to him bouncing his car.  Lol. 

Sunday we had dinner for Dad and his friends. This dinner didn't take a lot of time and effort. We cooked and froze the corn earlier in the week   Dad shucked the corn, Brian cut the kernels of the cob, I cooked it and Brian froze it. Since we send food home with Carl, Dad wanted me to cook a little more food. I planned on 12 ears of corn for 6 people. I ended up buying 20. Wait. Let me explain. At the store, the produce bags held 4 years of corn. So I got 4, then 8, then 12, then 16. I got 18 and figured why not fill out the final bag?  Which I did. I got 20 ears. Yeah. I know now that that is a lot of corn. A lot. 

I also fixed cabbage. I fixed it the previous week to test it out. It was good, but it looked as if one head of cabbage wouldn't be enough for 6 people. So we bought 2 heads of cabbage. After Brian finished cutting the cabbage I went to the kitchen to cook it. I had a giant bowl overflowing with raw cabbage. I think I ended up using one head of cabbage. Lol. I now have a bowl with raw cabbage in the refrigerator.   And yes.  I overshot with the Mac and cheese also. lol. Not as much, though. I have a half of casserole dish of the Mac and cheese left. Everyone went home with leftovers. I called it the Fields-Perry carry out. 

So let's backtrack. I made Easter baskets for everyone. I got small cardboard baskets, multicolor paper squiggles and plastics eggs from the dollar store. Brian and I dyed some eggs on Saturday. We had small Lindt chocolate bunnies, Easter eggs full of Starburst jelly beans and a dyed egg on each basket. Oh my goodness.  My senior citizen guests enjoyed their baskets. lol. I placed a basket at each seat and they were just tickled. Oh. Who were my guests?  Well Carl age 93, of course.  And Pauline, age 95 who lives in the building and is also a longtime friend of my mom. And Pauline's friend, Herbert   He's a young 85.  Lol. And the there's Dad, who'll be 89 next week!!  

As usual, Dad went to pick up Carl. I had a cheese and cracker snack plate waiting for them. And they sat on the couch drinking champaign, eating cheese and crackers while watching Lebron  James. This occurs about 2 hours before dinner is served. Anyway. They all ate heartily. The corn and cabbage was a big hit.  Lol. All plates were emptied. After dinner was coffee, cake and ice cream. They stayed 3 hours just talking and having a good time. Everyone went home with containers of food...corn, macaroni and chees, cabbage, slices of Honey Baked Ham, rolls and cake. And Carl also got the rest of the 1/2 gallon of ice cream.  Lol. And they made sure they had their Easter baskets.  :-)

Brian and I also enjoyed being with them. They told lots of interesting stories and we got some history lessons about their experiences. It was also fun listening to them reminesce. Movies costing five cents! Lol. Herbert grew up in Hawaii on a sugar plantation and we got stories about that also. We really had a great time. That being said, I got a really late start on dialysis, but that's the beauty of home hemodialysis, isn't it. Lots of flexibility. 

Well we're back to our schedule this week. Our classes all had spring break last week!  And I don't have to plan for another meal.  Well. Sort of. I'll be having a dinner once a mo the for our "family". The next dinner will be Memorial Day. Barbeque, baby!!!  

Signing off. Got lots of leftovers. Gonna try a ham and cabbage soup this week. Have a wonderful day!  
Photos of table before dinner and during dinner. 




No comments:

Post a Comment