Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The "Do You and Your Kids Know How to Swim?", edition.

Good morning!  We've been dealing with Easter leftovers, but they should be all gone by tommorrow. On Monday, we had a full on duplicate of Sunday's dinner. Yesterday, Brian made a creamed ham and cabbage soup.  And yes, it was delicious. And easy!   Remember, we had a lot of raw cabbage left over because I apparently can't determine how much of anything I need!  And even though we got a Honey Baked ham for 6-8 people, we still had quite a bit left over...so voila!  Soup. The guests have checked in and they've finished their leftovers and are working on the jelly beans!  Lol. Also, Dad's birthday is Thursday and he requested Easter leftovers for his birthday dinner. Yeah. He did. We have some ham, macaroni and cheese and corn...no cabbage, but he's good with that. 

One more thing. Gruyere macaroni and cheese. Pure heaven. I'm never going back to using cheddar.  Ever. I make a white sauce and then add the cheese to melt in the white sauce, but here's the kicker. Remember, I'm still on a renal diet. And there's a lot of dairy in Mac and cheese. So I do how deal with that?  I use non dairy creamer instead of milk!!!  It works. And it works well. And it tastes soooo good.  We've found the that the non dairy creamer works in several recipes that call for milk and/or cream.  

Ok swimming. Do you know how to swim?  Do your children, nieces, nephews, grandchildren know how to swim?  If you or you children don't know how to swim, I'm judging you. Already, 2 young children have drowned out here in home pools. If you go to pools, beaches or water parks, you need to know how to swim. Brian and I swim. Back in the day, we both were certified Red Cross life guards. We both have taught swimming. We like to swim. But we have the utmost respect for water. Did you know I was certified in adaptive aquatics?  I was trained and Red Cross certified to teach swimming lessons to people with disabilities.  All disabilities. Physical, mental and emotional. Children and adults. 
   
We started Shawn with swimming lessons just after her first birthday. Brian and I attended a pool party and took Shawn with us. While we were swimming, Shawn decided we looked like we were having fun, so she jumped on in the pool!!  Yikes!!!  Lol. I got here her and she's laughing. I put her on the side of the pool to get out and she cannon balled right back in!!!!  Lol. I got the hint big time. That Monday, we went to the Birmingam Y for baby swimming classes.  She continued with swimming lessons until she was around 8-9 years old. In addition, she attended Howard University. One the conditions of graduation is taking a semester of swimming.  And one of the conditions to pass the class is the students have to tread water while singing the Howard University song. (We called it the funeral dirge, but that's a story for another day!-lol). Swimming has become a lifelong skill for her. While at Disney World, she and her friends were able to go snorkeling with sharks. They all went to Howard and they all know how to swim.  

The last thing I want hear is, ".... But my hair". Look. You can go natural  for the duration of a beginners class.  Frankly, you need to go all the way through to an advanced class...jumping into deep water, learning how to tread water. Learning  basic self-life saving skills. Again, if you ever go to a pool, beach or water park...or go on a boat, then you need to know how to swim.  Brian and I are in water aerobics and for now it's in shallow water. We're transferring to deep water aerobics. The number of adults who are afraid to go to deep water is really sad. And it's not that you need to know how to swim, because we wear a floatation belt, but if you're afraid of the water, it seems you won't trust the floatation belt. People are afraid of the water. 

Well that's my rant. Swimming is a necessary life skill. If you don't know how to swim,it's not to late to learn. And if you aren't willing to learn, at least make sure the children in your life know how to swim.  

Singing off.  On my way to water aerobics.  Ugh. Watching a Rand Paul interview. He's a dick. I've digressed. And I've lost my train of thought.  Have a wonderful day.  And learn to swim!!!!!!   And yeah. I'm in the deep water here!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment