Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, January 10, 2014

The "29 Degrees Feels Absolutely Balmy", edition.

iPad shuffled to Aaron Neville, "Tell It Like It Is". Is that an alto sax?  It compliments his voice.  Temperature has raised. Ready for the melting of the mountains of snow. I've read that certain talking heads accused the media of making up the polar vortex. What's the deal with maligning science?  Anyway...Shawn's train ride from Windsor to Quebec City...train left Windsor at 5:30 AM.  Got a text she was in the condo in Quebec City at 11:15PM.  Long ride, eh? <said in my best Canadian accent???hmm I needed to do that in French>  I've been to Toronto and Montreal, but not Quebec City. Now if I want to go, I need a passport or a fancy drivers license. And advance planning for dialysis < huff >.  And that includes making sure the insurance is good in another country.  Are the dialysis protocols simular?  Well, I'm going to give it shot one day. Maybe I'll have a transplant and won't have to worry about that.

"Andalucia (Suite Espanola):Guadalivir", Ernesto Lecuona. One of the songs I played. Suite Andalucia consisted of 6 compositions...for the piano. The final song of the suite was Malaguena.  That was selected for me by my dad. My piano teacher got me the book of all of the songs. She also made me go to the Detroit Public Library to listen to song. See, you could to the music area and request whatever you wanted.  They gave you headphones and played whatever you requested. I needed that for Bach the elder. His music was crazy as hell to look at with his baroque ass. (and I wasn't trying to make a pun----broke ass.   :-/ ).   Anyway I listened to the entire suite. I learned Malaguena  for my recital piece, but I liked a few other songs from the suite, so learned to play them.  Well, that was a long detour. 

We went to Montreal in 1998. Took the train. Brian and I had done the train to Toronto several times. The ride to Montreal was new. We chuckled as the train approached the Montreal station. The signage and stores were in French. I remember seeing Tim Hortons and KFC in French. We went to McDonalds. They had to find someone who could ( barely)  speak English. Lol.  Oh yeah, the menu was different.  Poutine!!!  We had a great time. Why did we go?  Well my parents were also on the trip. I actually convinced them to take the train. Back to why we went. My godfather, Walter G. Sellers, was completing his term as the first Black president of Kiwanis International. We were his family (groupies) during his term. His presidential suite in the hotel had a piano(!!!!). Lol. We got pegged as his family no matter where went. ( I wonder why? - roflmao ).  I'll tell you about following him to Nashville for his inauguration to president another day. :-)

 Anyway. Saying that because Shawn did have the experience of being in a French speaking city.  And she's an adult now and will be  able to navigate her way around Quebec City.  Plus she's with team members from Wayne State and some classmates and her advisor from UIUC ...and her professor from Wayne. I know she's an adult. Mom is still always concerned. "You're such a mom". Lol.  I mentioned to her she has associations with Howard, Wayne State and UIUC. The presentation is for a project she did for Wayne State. She informed me she did it as an alumnus. She informed me that her  affiliation is with UIUC!  I stand corrected.

SOS Band, "Tell Me If You Still Care". Real blast from the past. Catch the video if you can. It always cracks me up ...I don't think it's supposed to, though.  Lol. Shawn's presentation is today. Finally, we have no idea where archeology came from. But she enjoys it...a lot. And that's what matters. :)  We told her we didn't care what she wanted to do, as long she did it to the best of her ability. Even if she wanted to be video dancer. That went over like a lead balloon. Lol lol.

Signing off with George Benson, "Turn Your Love Around". Makes your head bop. Enjoy the warmer weather, but the boots around. Sounds like slush is in our future.  :). Oh yeah, all my module peeps are back. Yay!!! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment