Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, January 31, 2014

The "I'm Still Chugging Along and Please Forgive Me When I Hit a FunkyPlace".

iPad shuffled Roy Ayers, "You Send Me". Fantastic arrangement. The vocals kick ass and listen to those violins. Can you tell I like the song?  :)  Sometimes I have my pity parties, or my mad at the world episodes. I'm one of those people who has strong emotions, but they pass.  Got distracted by my original tech...you know...the one is behaved badly toward (a nice way of saying I cussed her out).  I apologized and we're past that. That was over a year ago.  She may teach me to cannulate myself.  It helps for me to talk with the techs and patients about it.  On another note, the other replacement tech is here today.  She was trained by my tech who had to retire. She gets my trust and she nailed my super special (lol) access.  :-)  

I arrive today, I'm third one in. Saggy pants and my partner are here. Big guy comes in about 5 minutes later.  Old guy and sweet old lady's chairs are empty. My partner greets me with sweet old lady has died.  /cry.  She was always asking me for money for her church programs.  I had no problem giving her a couple of dollars.  The Spinners. "I'll Be Around". My favorite song by them.  To be honest. Sweet old lady looked fine. The last day she was here, she had to leave for the hospital, but I guess we have no idea what happens.  We were the 2 ladies in the module. I'll miss her greeting me with a smile when I come in.  And I'll miss her handing me a lollipop every now and then.  This is what kidney disease and dialysis is. 

On yet another dialysis note(well it is adventures in dialysis-lol), the alcohol is killing my skin at the access point. It's dry, itchy and irritated.  I looked for antibacterial lotion at Meijer's, but I couldn't find any.  I did get anti-itch lotion.  I'm going to talk to the nurse today.  It feels like the itch is under my skin. I scratch around the area because I just don't want to touch it. Heatwave, "The a Groove Line". Now that's a funk group!!  

Every 3 months or so, and when I'm visiting centers, the staff goes over us disconnecting ourselves from the machines in case of emergency.  I listened and it went in one ear and out the other. And yeah, I signed the document that said,  "sure I get it". But you know, when your brain isn't ready, you won't learn or understand.  Well, this past week it clicked.  And no, it wasn't review time, it just clicked.  Lol. Each access tube has 2 clamps. (Yeah, if I can explain it, that means I understand it).  I clamp the the clamps closest to my body first. This stops the blood flow from me.  The second set of clamps cuts me of from the machine.  We don't want blood spurting out of the tubes, now do we.  

Lol. Even when I was on a walker, I was told that in case of emergency, not only would I be responsible  for my self, I may be asked assist with older, less mobile people. Harrumph.  Lol.  That meant helping them out of the clinic area and to the escape route. I'd be no help getting them up the stairs, though.  Lol. I'd have pulled myself up with my arms though adrenaline. Lol. The partner next to me told that there had been a few emergencies when they had to evacuate.  So anyway, I understand it now and can get myself off the machine if I need to. :)

Random information. I told you the center installed cable boxes ...on all of the TVs. The modules look like this....

|                         |
|                        X  <--- Me
|___________X__|  <---Partner

I'm on the left end.  My partner is against the wall left of me, perpendicular to me. Our TVs are suspended from the ceiling. Anyway, when my partner changes his channels, mine are changed also. Lol.  I quit fussing and change channels when he's finished surfing.  Yeah I can't take photos because of HIPPA and that's fine. 

Well that's it for day. Hooray for us for breaking the record for the most snow in January, ever. Yay?   Lol you can tell your grand kids how you walk to ______ in 30 inches of snow in -20 degree weather!   Lol and you have the stats to back it up!!!

Signing off with The Delphonics, "Ready or Not". Apparently I like the groups with guys with the really high voices. *cough* Ron Banks, Russell Thompkins, Jr.  *cough*. Have a great weekend. Chicken wings, yes. I'll pass on the jalapeƱo popper dip. I think I've seen 6 versions pass on Facebook.  Fess up, who's making it?

No comments:

Post a Comment