Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The "Dialysis and ESRD Update", edition.

iPad shuffled to Beyoncé, "Love on Top". I get tickled when the blog app editor puts that doodad at the end of Beyoncé's name.  In the last entry I mentioned my tech had to take an early, emergency retirement.  I didn't start out in her module, mod 6.  I was 3rd shift in mod 2. One day, while in mod 2, I got a call from the center asking if I could come in early. I couldn't answer yes fast enough. I hated coming in at 2:15. That was my scheduled time, but I usually got put on the machine around 2:45. :-/   With a 3.5 hour run time....and run off and removal, I rarely got out before 6PM. I was one of the last people to leave.  Add into that my low blood pressure issues, 6:30 - 7:00PM wasn't unusual. So any earlier time was desirable.

Anyway, after finding out I was willing to come in at any early time, I got called in early almost every day.  I especially liked that first shift!!  I was going into mods 4 and 7. The last time I was called in, I was sent to module 6. I'd never seen this tech. I asked her name and told her not to remove more that 2.5 kilograms of fluid.  If more was removed I'd pass out for her. She assured me I'd be fine. The run was not eventful. I told the tech I liked this early shift. She mentioned the chair was empty and I should ask the head nurse to switch. I asked, head nurse said yes and the very next session, I was in module 6, first shift, Yay!!!   I must make a disclaimer that my 3rd shift tech was not as personable, but she was all business. One day she turned the dialysis machine toward me and schooled me on the machine. <3   Fast forward and now she is one of my preferred stickers. :) I digress

Marvin Gaye, "Please Don't Stay (Once You Go Away)".  The "Lets Get It On", album. My tech went on the fistula journey with me.  She was in communication with the vascular surgeon about when and how to do that first stick.  Like marking arm, prior to my appointment with the vascular surgeon, where she thought were the strongest points for the stick. He wanted her to do button holes, she said the access was strong enough to stick, but not mature enough for the button holes. She was pretty forceful about that. Lol. 

"Groove Is In The Heart", Deee-Lite, featuring Q-Tip and Bootsey Collins. You KNOW this a party song lol. I got distracted.  I looked up the song. Ok. My tech taught me even more about the machine. Like what that jug at the bottom, dialysate. And how much heparin I was getting.  She slowly was able get me up to a maximum of a 3.0 kilogram fluid removal when needed. She applied the cream to my catheter access when my skin decided it didn't like alcohol anymore. (The itching was unbearable...and there was nothing I could do about it until the bandage was changed on treatment days).   When I traveled she sent me with a set of instructions for the techs in the visiting clinics. 

She also created my buttonholes. We started in Mid September. The button holes were pretty well established when she went out sick before Thanksgiving. I know the venous access (the top) is tricky, so I can relay that to other techs.  And I needed to know. She was out from about a 1-2 weeks before Thanksgiving and didn't return until after the blizzard in January. She was back for 3 sessions before she had to leave for medical reasons. /cry.   The last thing she did was show me how to remove my needles. 

Yes indeed!!!  I am now removing my needles!!!!!!!!!  I told her that first day back I was ready to start removing my needles. I though we'd start the next session.  No. She had me start that day. The first try, the venous access,  was a bit....messy. Lol. Good thing puddles of blood don't phase me.  The arterial was a bit better    I just needed to hit the accesses spot on.  The holes are small, but they're designed to move a lot of blood in and out of my body.   The next treatment day was better. Except I tried to pill the wrong needle. She slapped my hand away. Lol. No time for her to say stop.  The pulls were less messier.  The third day....Jackpot. :-) So much jackpot that no one even monitored me!!!  I felt accomplished.  (Eh, this is my life....whatever). 

Now I'm going to try explain the process. I'm given the sterile gloves. Remember, my left arm which has the needles, still needs to be relatively immobile. So this pretty much a one handed (right hand) process. I tear open the alcohol swabs. I open the packs of gauze.  I fold the gauze into fourths . I open the band aids. I remove the tape on the top needle, the venous. I place the alcohol pad on the folded gauze. All with the right hand. I grab the plastic tubing for the venous needle with my left  hand.  Now I place the alcohol and gauze over the needle with my right hand and slowly pull out the needle with my left hand. Apply pressure on the access hole. Once the bleeding has stopped I place a single folded piece of gauze on the inside of the band aid and place the band aid on the buttonhole.  Repeat the process for the arterial button hole.  Now I'm ready to go. No waiting for some one to remove my needles!!!  Yay.  Sometimes I had to wait for other patients to be run off, or have their needles removed. Or even have wait for the techs to apply pressure to their access.  Or wait while they set up the folks from the next shift.  All that's left is go weigh myself!!

That being said, I got a tech who wants to teach me how to run off---the disconnection off the machine process.  I'm game.  And soon, I'm gonna learn how cannulate--stick-- myself. Getting there. 
:-)   Oh and random dialysis pet peeve. The Velcro on the blood pressure sticks to my sweater. >:-/
I can think of worse things. Lol.  Now I need to find someone to get the TV working for me.  The TV is on, but not the cable box. I can ask about headaches, needing water, etc , but I have an issue asking about fixing the TV or plugging in the chair for treating feature. Go figure.  Also, I wash my hands and the button hole areas prior to getting stuck. The soap dries the hell out of my hands.  And I can't get to lotion after dialysis.  No pretty Bath and Bodyworks lotion, I need Eucerin.  Lol. 

Logging out with Heatwave, "Always and Forever". Stay warm.  Maybe I'll tell you about the shrimp chowder I made. Kept me warm!!  Photos of dialysis machine and access arm for reference. 





No comments:

Post a Comment