Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, January 6, 2014

The "Some of Us Made It to Dialysis, And by Some I Mean Some Staff andPatients", edition.

I don't have the music going yet because I'm still sitting the reception area.  10 inches of snow seemed to have caused a problem for the staff. What a surprise...lol. Just got on...just before 7 AM.  As we pulled up to the building, I noticed there were considerably fewer cars in the parking lot.  Oh yeah, "I'm Still In Love With You", Al Green. I'm swooning. Lol. My first real music crush. You just can't beat a plaid suit!  Seriously, I love his voice. :)  Anyway, I get to the reception area and there are patients there.   This is not a normal occurrence for first shift. I'm greeted with, "You have to sign in". I sign in myself and the gentleman using the walker who came in with me.  I see my buddy who sits in the chair next to me and we chat..

Ok I need to stop for a moment. Over the weekend I downloaded some new songs. Al Green was one. I also did some Barry White. Right now "I'm Gonna Love You a Just Little More" is playing.  When I played the preview, I squealed and immediately hit the "Buy" button. Lol. I was taken aback by my reaction. Brian laughed and remarked that Barry always caused that reaction with the women. Lol. I stand accused and unashamed :-)  

Back to my buddy... We talked about not skipping treatment in spite of the weather.  (Hmmm, I was mentoring!).  And doing our full times.  The charge nurse comes out and calls 6 people in..you know, 6 chairs per module. She mentions that she picked up 3 staff on the way to work. No one is upset and we wait patiently.  We just let people know they have to sign in when they come in. My group of six is called back around 6:40 AM.  Beyoncé, "Love On Top". I guess I need to check out her new music. I'm not tired of her after all these years. As I walk past the other module, 2 of the folks from my module call me over.  The funny thing is, we are creatures of habit. The patients are cranky because they're in different chairs in different modules. This phenomena is limited to us first shift patients. My chair, my module. Shifts after first, the patients get the first available chair....in their assigned module. Oh by the way, I'm in my chair in my module. Lololololol. That was clearly the luck of the draw!!  The downside is I'm looking at different people.  Who are theses folks???  Where is my buddy who is next to me?  Where is the only other lady in my module...who keeps tring to get me to go to her church?  Where is saggy pants guy?  He's still cool even with the saggy pants. :)  Where is my buddy who we race each other to stop bleeding (yeah, life is...unusual in dialysis. Lol). Where is the new guy?  I'm still not sure if those three made it...

I get to the treatment area and much to my surprise the technology guy is going to hook me up. (!). Wait. He's the computer guy (!). I'm ok with him setting up the machine and hooking me up to blood pressure cuff, but stick needles in me????!!!?!  He said, yeah. Lol. Well, I let him know the venous access was tricky and let him hook me up...as I looked longingly at the tech on the other side of the module who I knew could deal with my "what think is my very special" access. Heh computer guy nailed it, easier than a lot, with no..none..pain. (!!!). I told him his secret was now out!!  Roflmao. 

"California Dreamin'", Bobby Womack. Well I'll take California, Florida or Vegas right about now. {rim shot}. Love love Bobby Womack. So now it's 7:30 and staff is trickling in. Hooray for Northwest Detroit Dialysis Center. Charge nurse, head nurse and admin nurse are all here. I've also seen 2 more RNs come in and more techs. Hug a nurse today...and a dialysis tech. 10 inches of snow.  They're here for us!!  Just saw the lead social worker.  The center is normalizing. :)

The Doors, "Baby Light My Fire". Didn't see that song coming, did you? I also downloaded Whitesnake. ;-). Well I'm signing off. To my DPS folks, I'm tickled the announced schools closing the day before. That's a really rare occurrence.  Signing off with ...Johnny Kemp, "Just Got Paid". Can you say party starter?  At least for us " mature" adults!!!  Get someone else to shovel the snow. Drink some hot chocolate and have a hibernating day!!!


2 comments:

  1. The Dailysis experience with musical accompaniment! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never sit in the same spot twice but usually in the same module. I usually see one person and maybe two most of the time. I have the same tech with my bad access. If he isn't there they use the catheter until they find out what is wrong or what they are going to do.

    ReplyDelete