Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, January 3, 2014

The "What's the Plan For The New Year?", edition.

iPod shuffled to "Going in Circles", The Friends of Distinction. I remember this from jr. high, now called middle school.  I liked jr high because it was almost HIGH school.  Lol. Our trip to Las Vegas seems so long ago now.  We were there from December 19 through December 28. The temperature  was around 65 degrees every day, except that day it got up to 70. { reminiscent sigh }. Dad was waiting for us at the luggage area. As we were leaving the airport, all 3 of  the automated gates to let you out of the parking lot weren't  working.  Caused a bit of a jam. Yay technology?  Lol. Anyway, Dad takes us straight to Boulder Station for late lunch/early dinner. He uses his comps.

"Love Song", Ramsey Lewis. You should go and play this song. It's ....soothing. :). I've learned how to juggle travel with dialysis. I've experimented how to minimize treatments away from my center.  I've come to realize that I just need to plan the trip and let dialysis fall where it may. I initially would schedule travel the day of dialysis. The piano is jammin' on this song...and then come the strings. .then that '70's "chicka" sound. Well, I got distracted. Lol. Traveling the day of has several issues.  For road trips, we get a late start, and I'm pretty useless. As in I'm crashing in the back seat of the vehicle.  Going to Champaign, I didn't come up for air until we were close to Chicago. :(   For flying, I'm restricted to flight times, in addition, I'm not comfortable on the plane after treatment...I can't lay down if I need to.  I did that going to Florida. The flight was at 3PM dialysis day. Once we landed I had to walk to the Disney bus, which was waaaay on the far end of the airport. Any further, we'd be back to Detroit. :-/  - lol.  No, I don't know why or remember why a wheelchair wasn't  waiting. Once we got to Disney, we had a dinner appointment.  It was go, go, go....on a dialysis day. Bleah.  And I scheduled my return treatment the same day we returned home.  Literally from the airport to the dialysis center. Well, I've seen the light. 

I now travel on off days. Duh. If I need extra days at the transient center, so be it. I think, though I needed to learn to be comfortable at those centers. Vegas for sure, we know each other.  I've had the same techs and nurses.  My 2nd home.  They were with me with the catheter, the new button holes and the mature button holes and they know the needle needs to go down and the up for the venous.  Ha!  I just put a skull cap on my head with one hand. You try that.  Let me know how it goes.  Lol. Keep one hand extended like you have to needles in it and if you move that arm, you may dislodge a needle....where the least of you worries is the needle coming out, but if it does the blood will flow freely and copiously. (Nothing like a tortured sentence-lol). 

So I had treatment in Detroit  December 18 at 6:15 AM, leaving around 10:15 AM.  The next treatment was December 20 in Las Vegas at 2:15PM Vegas time --5:15PM Detroit time...leaving around 6:00 PM PST -- 9:00 PM EST. Sigh. The good news is they called me in early on Christmas Eve.  Yes, every single dialysis center I've ever been to has my cell number. I told you before, that phone is my lifeline. I'm also waiting for that call to tell me a kidney is available, but that's a story for another day. "You're Still a Young Man", Tower of Power.  One of my favorites. I like the horns, the vocals, the piano the arrangement. 

So the plan?  More travel, of course.  We're planning a train trip to Champaign in a few months using Amtrak.  I'm looking forward to that. Brian and I are tired of of the drive. Crossing Michigan is tedious.  Lol. Then you have that little jaunt through Indiana and the traffic through Chicago is just damn impressive. Lol.  And you finally end up in cornfields for 2 hours. :-x  lol

Stay warm. It was -2 this morning. WTH - lol. Signing off with Fleetwood Mac, "Go Your Own Way".  Photos of the Vegas dialysis center and Boulder Station.  Oh..the dialysis center is near a mall, using the same roads.  The mall Christmas  traffic was quite impressive :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment