Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, April 4, 2014

The "My Dialysis Family", edition.

iPad shuffled to The Dramatics, "Be My Girl".  Let's face it.  I go to dialysis 3 days a week. I'm there over 4 hours each day.  It's a part time job that has no vacation. The office has 7 divisions (modules). Each module has 1 manager (nurse), 1 administrative assistant (dialysis tech) and 6 employees (the patients).  The clinic has a technology guy, another guy that maintains the dialysis machines, a couple of guys that replenish stock (we use a whole lot of stuff!).  The business has board members (the doctors), a CEO (executive nurse), president (the lead nurse). There are also office receptionists / administrative assistants.  The 3 dieticians and 3 social workers and 1 social worker assistant are specialized consultants.  Lot of people, eh?  I think I got them all.  Should I include the transportation people?  There are some who bring people for each shift. Then there's the private EMS transport companies. They transport people who need to arrive via stretcher or need special transportation considerations.  I'll go into detail on that another day.

 Ray Charles, "What'd I Say". Love it!   I got to know staff first, of course, starting with receptionist staff.  They got to know me in order to call my module to let them know I had arrived. "Module 2, Mrs Fields is here". I got to know my dialysis tech. I realized the nurses rotated. Some of them. And yeah, some techs rotated. I still don't know the method to determine how some techs are assigned permanently to modules and others permanently rotate. And I clearly have no clue what happens on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I digress.  

Nicole Henry, "Waters of March". Starts out with her and a guitar, then the band comes in. Jazzy.  I have coming to the clinic since November 2012.  Some people would engage me in conversation while waiting to be called. No one seemed particularly friendly, but neither did I. Plus I was on third shift. Last in last out. It all changed when I was switched to first shift. 

Ok first shift wasn't a party, but the patients were more vocal and friendly.  In addition to meeting the people in my module on my shift, I got to know people in my module on second shift.  Because I was still last in last out in my module for my shift. Lol.  But I also got to know module 1 and 5 people because I pass them to get to my module 6 (I have no idea how these modules got numbered. It makes no sense to me). I greet and get greeted when I walk by staff and patients.  I also greet shift 2 people, inside the treatment area and the reception area.  I get a lot of, "Hey Baby". Lol. 

I notice when I haven't seen some nurses or techs in a while.  I'll ask if they're alright. You know I'll do the same with patients. Like today. Old dude isn't here.  He's recently been using a wheelchair.  He's back in the hospital.  I'm concerned. A few months ago, he left via stretcher. He is always pleasant. We still try to race to see who leaves first, but he gets off first.  Lol. Lady with big bun is back, but she's been hospitalized. :(   That leaves me, my partner, saggy pants guy and big guy doing ok.  For now.  Remember we lost sweet old lady in January. :(

Isaac Hayes, "Joy".  Shift 2 has been missing people.  Wheelchair lady with access on her thigh has been missing. The other lady that  can hit Defcon one in 2 seconds has been missing.  I asked about them today. Wheelchair lady died. *sigh*. Defcon lady is back in the hospital again. It seems she's hospitalized every 2-3 weeks. :(   In addition, old dude with glasses had died early this year.   3 deaths in my module on 2 shifts since January.  I get that I don't have additional health concerns...diabetes, heart issues, lupus, cancer....but ESRD has exacerbated these conditions in dialysis patients.  I'm losing people I care about to ESRD. They are my dialysis family.  

That being said, we all soldier on and live our lives the best we can. We still laugh  and greet each other.  We still joke around and support each other.  We let each other know we care.  We may not be there the next day. 

Signing off with Jamie Foxx, "I Don't Need It". Head bopping. :)  Have a good weekend. I've heard the birds in the morning.  I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment