Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The "I've Never Liked Going to the Dentist", edition.

iPad shuffled to "Let Me Ride", Dr. Dre. Explicit version. You lose too much with the censored version.  I like it. Don't hate. I went to the dentist in February for a check up and teeth cleaning. See, before you can get a kidney transplant, you need a clean dental bill of health. Pun definitely not intended. No chipped or broken teeth. The preference is to not need dental work soon after the transplant. The chance of infection is high.

"Go Your Own Way", Fleetwood Mac.  I knew going into the visit I needed some work. The silver fillings from when I was a kid were coming out and weakened teeth to the point of breaking.  None of that caused me any discomfort, but it could jeopardize a potential transplant.  The final verdict was one extraction and two crowns.  I don't like any of that. Lol. I don't even like the usage of the tools during the teeth cleaning. 

"Ocean of Thoughts and Dreams", The Dramatics. I close my eyes and get lost in this song. Ron Banks. <3    After the teeth cleaning, I was scheduled for the start of the series of appointments.  I forgot we were headed to Illinois, so I canceled with the intent to reschedule. Of course I put it off. I finally kicked myself into gear once I was approved to remain on the transplant list. I'd be beyond pissed at myself if I got "the call" and be denied because of something within my control.  I admit that my mom influenced my dislike of dentists, but she is not totally at fault. Mom would tell me she didn't want me to be afraid like she was, the told me about being drilled on with little to no anesthesia as a child. Lol. That's all I needed to hear.  Lol. 

"Groove Me", Guy.  Always makes me want to dance.  Yep, I'm bopping in the chair now. As a young child, my dentist was fairly cool. He'd entertain me with chattering, moving teeth. :-)  I don't recall anything bad. The issues started as an adult when I had impacted wisdom teeth.  I was in my 20's.  I should have known something was up when my dentist referred me to an oral surgeon. My boyfriend at the time (Yes of course it was Brian - lol) took me. I wasn't to anxious about the extraction. I told the dentist I didn't want to go under, so the plied me full of novacaine. Well the extraction started. I need to add that the oral surgeon had forearms looking like Popeye.  Lol. 

He started pulling. And pulling. Apparently my roots extended down to my toes. :-(  Tears were coming out of my eyes.  I felt the pressure, but no pain. The surgeon was tugging and pulling with those mighty forearms.  Nothing.  They eventually pulled out a gas mask and stuck it on my face. I actively fought it. I thought I was dying. But docs arms were strong and I eventually gave in to the anesthesia. I eventually came to on the last few tugs. Still crying. When he finished and I came out to Brian, I looked like I had lost a fight. Badly. I was swollen and bruised. I was off work a few days. When I returned I still looked bad. People asked did Brian hit me. And looked at him sideways. :-(  "No, no..tooth extraction". 

"A Real Mother For Ya", Johnny Guitar Watson. "I'll pay ya tomorrow". A few years after we got married, the other wisdom tooth acted up. Let's just say the same thing happened with a different dentist. I ended up having to go to a maxillofacial surgeon in the aftermath. I had nerve damage in my face. *sigh*.  It's long gone now, but you can see why I'm not keen on going to dentists. 

"Who Am I (What's My Name)", Snoop Dogg. It's the bass!  So here we are today. Or yesterday, actually. Time for an extraction. I remind my self I get stuck 3 times a week at dialysis. I've had 4 minor surgeries within the past year.  When I needed a crown a while back, it was a piece of cake. And I finally I can go to that special place in my mind to calm myself. I get prepped, injected with a lot of novacaine and it's on. About 15 minutes the tooth is out with no drama at all!!!  By the time I actually felt something, it was the tooth extraction itself. Dentist tells me to clamp down on the gauze. It's over!!  Not only was it out, I didn't need any of the pain meds!!  I go back next week to get the stitches removed. One procedure down, two to go.

"Check It Out", The Tavares. Brian sings this to me. (Shhh. It's a secret). ;) "if you let me lead the way, I'll give the world to you".  Well that's a sign off song if I ever heard one.  We broke the record for most snowfall. Yay?  It's going to get warmer.  I promise. :-)   Have a wonderful day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment