Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, April 25, 2014

The "Help Me Help People With Chronic Kidney Disease", edition.

iPad shuffled to "Bust a Move", Young MC. Party over here!!  Way to wake up. :-)  I'm really on a mission to do the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan (NKFM) Zoo Walk.  I mean, I'm motivated to walk, not just for me but for whatever the NKFM does for research, preventative education and assistance for people with kidney issues. But it's more than personal for me now.  My Wendell is very ill.

Steely Dan, "Babylon Sisters".  Remember I told you that infections are life threatening to people on dialysis?  Well his life is threatened.  In October 2012, when my kidneys were in the final stage of failure and I didn't know it, we talked about his kidney failure and dialysis. I knew nothing about dialysis at that time. Little did I know I'd be there within 2 weeks.  At the time, he was working, riding his motorcycle, traveling, do all sorts of things. Living his life.  Doing peritoneal dialysis (PD).  You do peritoneal at home on your own schedule.  Gives you a lot of freedom.  You're not stuck on that 3 day a week schedule.  It also allows you to dialyze more often for better clearance and removing more toxins. It also allows the diet to be considerably less strict...because you are dialyzing more.  I know.  You're saying Pat !  Why aren't you doing peritoneal dialysis?  That's a great question.  

The Gap Band, "Early in the Morning". Back in the day, when the Gap Band came on, everyone hot up!!  Party starters!  I was on schedule to do peritoneal dialysis. It requires a surgical procedure to insert a catheter in my lower abdomen (peritoneal cavity). This is just another way to get the toxins out. The catheter and PD process are highly suseptible to infection, so great care is take to sterilize everything.  As with my chest catheter, you should not touch the tip. Lots of gloves and alcohol swabs.   Well sometimes things just happen and you get an infection anyway. Understand that PD is a safe  method of dialysis, but sometimes shit happens.  In addition, the medical community recommends you do it for about 5 years.  Any longer, all kinds of nasty things can happen.  Anyway I opted out because I wouldn't be able to go swimming. (Sad face).  High chance of infection with a hole in your stomach. 

Anyway. When I was told my kidneys failed and I had to start dialysis immediately, I kinda knew what that meant.  Thanks to my Wendell.  I called him once I was out of the hospital to let him know.  He gave me information and we discussed a lot of things. He let me know it wasn't fun, but life goes on just fine.  We found out we were both going to walk in the NKFM Zoo Walk last year.  We found each other in the crowd. :)  I got the pics to prove it!!  

During the summer we stayed in contact, chat over Facebook.  Brian and I were in the process of moving Shawn so I didn't see Wendell much.  Then he fell off the face of the earth in October 2013.  I called and found out he'd gotten an infection and was in the hospital. He told me his symptons. He thought he was dying. Peritonitis.  It IS life threatening. Anyway.  The infection did a number of him.  He stopped eating.  Lost his appetite. He'd lost a lot of weight. He's 6'6. He was probably under 150 lbs.  I'd bring him food. Along with his girlfriend and mom. Lol. He'd have chicken salad, fruit, chili. Whatever he asked for.  It frightened me because I'd gone through this no eating thing with my mom. 

He got better and was well enough to go home by Christmas 2013. I was part of the group that would bring him meals. Then I lost contact again in February.  I called. He was back in the hospital. :-(   The infection returned. But he was getting better.  We planned a taco party after Brian returned from visiting Shawn.  We came back.  I called him. No answer.  Nothing on Facebook.  His brother finally posted something on Wendell's page. It was a little alarming. I messaged him.  Long story short I was given the information so I could visit him. 

Average White Band, "A Love of Your Own". Brian and I went to visit him yesterday.  He was in the observation area.  We had to put on protective gear. He had a breathing tube and couldn't talk. That being said, he had a wide smile when we came in. I talked and he mouthed stuff at me. I can't read lips. :-(  But there were a few things we got. :)  I asked him about his appetite because he looked as if he lost even more weight.  He pointed to a feeding tube............  I told I was still looking forward to me and my team pushing him in the wheelchair for the walk.  He nodded and smile.  I left my phone number on a pad of paper on his test and told him if he needed anything, have someone call us. 

I wanted to cry when I saw him.  He's 2 years younger than me. He's been a great friend since we were 10, 11 years old.  So I'm walking with a purpose this year. I raiding funds with a purpose.  Please help me.  You know people with kidney disease. You know people who don't know they're in some stage  of the 5 stages of kidney disease.  You know people whose kidneys have failed. You know people whose kidneys are failing.  You know me.  I know you want to support us.  

Signing off Will Downing, "Send for Me".  Saw him at Chene Park years ago. Had backstage passes and a photo taken of me and Will Downing.  I never got the photo and have always what happened to it. Lol. Have a great weekend. Please think about sponsoring my team at the NKFM Zoo walk. I'd love if if you'd join us walking (strolling) through the magnificent Detroit Zoo to show support for people with kidney disease.  To support me and my Wendell. :)   Please. 



No comments:

Post a Comment