Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The "How Did I End Up Like This Redux. Part 1", edition.

iPad shuffled to "Grapevyne", Brownstone. How fortuitous this song comes on.  It's one of the most played songs on my playlist.  I'm sure one day I'll get tired of it...but not yet.  It's been with me through the entirety of my dialysis adventures.  As an aside, a note was posted on the entrance to the center this morning, that a State inspection was in progress.  Lots of activity this morning.  Lol. The center doesn't usually come alive until 8AM.  I'm seeing people in early who never come in this early.  I'll write about it on Friday.

This is blog entry number 204.  204!!!  With exception of about 5-6 entries, all have been written in the dialysis chair. 3 days a week since February 2013. <mind blown>.   I need to repeat how this started because I have newer readers and sorting through 200+ entries is tedious. I need to figure out how to index this thing. Ugh. 

"Blurred Lines", Robin Thicke featuring T.I. and Pharrell. Chair dance. 'Nuff said.  Ok. Here's the answer how Pat ended up with End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) and rushed to ER.   I can pinpoint when I started having problems. Not sure if my symptoms were actually the initial stages of kidney failure, but they are indicated as symptoms. In 2009 I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, arthritis (right knee) and plantar fasciitis. All painful and made mobility difficult. Several iterations of steroid shots in my knee and my back, with one of the pain center doctors suggesting back surgery(!).  Months of physical therapy and eventually using a cane. 

Young MC, "Bust a Move". More chair dancing. :)  By the fall of 2011 there was a change in my appetite.  I started losing weight. My friends shake their head when I tell them I thought I discovered the secret to weight loss. I'd get hungry, but I'd "power" through  the hunger and then after a while I would no longer be hungry.  Lol.  Anyway. The next several months walking become more difficult. It didn't affect my job. I had offsite meetings so I could drive to them. Also by this time my doctor had me get a handicap license. I also starting having morning sickness.  Well not THAT morning sickness for the obvious reasons. <wink>. It was absolutely dibilitating.  I started taking more sick days. It was that bad. I'd heave for up to 20 minutes or so every morning. It wore me out.  And if I made it to work, I was ridicolously tired. I'd close my office door and would sleep through lunch (I wasn't hungry, remember). 

"All Day Music", War. So. Soothing. :)   Eventually I started having trouble getting out of chairs.  I'd have to rock and bounce to get up.  Toilet seats are impossibly low. Even handicap stalls. They have rails, but you need upper body strength. And I was getting weaker.  Back to meetings. If the chairs were to low, I'd have to ask someone for assistance. I worked with Police and Fire/EMS. The good gentlemen would always assist if asked. :)

Rare Earth, "I Just Want to Celebrate". By January 2012 I felt miserable. Yes I was seeing doctors. Different doctors for different symptoms. Indivually, the symptoms did not point to kidney failure.  Collectively they did. The orthopedic surgeon wasn't looking for kidney failure. The gastroenterologist wasn't looking for kidney failure. The pain management doctor wasn't looking for kidney failure....
To be continued.  

Signing off with the Isley Brothers, "Hello It's Me". <Think I'll go find Brian when we get home and do a nice slow dance>. Enjoy more photos from the zoo walk and enjoy the weather...after the storms. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment