Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The "Westminster, Not Denver, Colorado", edition.

iPad shuffled to Phyllis Hyman, "When You Get Right Down To It".  We received an invitation to a wedding in Westminster, Colorado, about 30 miles northwest of Denver.  The daughter of good friends.  With the invitation in hand, it was time to plan. The wedding and reception were in the same hotel, The Westin Westminster. Ok. First order of business, airline tickets.  Ah. Southwest is the Las Vegas hub. Flights were quite inexpensive.  And there's a reason. No assigned seating. You can pay extra to get on the plane early.  I didn't see any seats that warranted an extra $15.00.  Lol. Anyway, the flight was only 1.5 hours.

Parliament, "Flashlight". Chair dancing!!  Next was making reservations at the hotel (resort?).  We got the wedding guest rate.  Cool!  Now what about transportation to the hotel from the airport. The distance looks far on the map. I thought I saw the hotel had transportation. I read reviews. Sounds nice. Well the hotel doesn't have transportation. I let it go. 

Nicole Henry, "Waters of March".  Saturday morning we're off. Uneventful flight. A wheelchair meets me. I still use a wheelchair in airports. I think I can make it, but carrying my bag o' stuff weighs me down. I get a chatty attendant. He's Ethiopian. We see a lot of Ethiopians working in the Denver airport. He stays with us while getting our (1 bag) luggage. Then he asks about transportation. We let him know the hotel.  He says he has a friend who will take care of us. ("Warning Will Robinson" .. Arms flailing). Well Denver airport has quite an extensive ground transportation system. Buses, taxis, limos and big ole Tahoes and Surburbans. He takes us to a Tahoe and the friend immediately takes the luggage. I ask how much. He quotes an interesting rate. I go to the taxi area. They give me pretty much the same rate. I try to negotiate. The driver wasn't having it. BUT the guy behind him jumped at my offer. :)  We're off to the hotel!!

We skirted east of the city.  We could see the Denver skyline. Anyway. About 30-40 minutes later, we pull up in this luxury Tahoe to a hotel where people welcomed us and opened doors. Let's just say the customer service was fine. The lobby was huge and inviting. We check in. Get our room.  Then head to the restaurant. I get in touch with my friend. We'll all meet in the restaurant after the rehearsal. We did. And we had a great time. Yes I had a drink...or 2. And yes. I paid the dialysis price on Monday. :-(   <---Dialysis angle. 

Young MC, "Bust a Move". Fast forward. The wedding was 6PM Sunday evening.  The hotel specializes in weddings. When we arrived on Saturday there were 3 weddings in progress. Christa's was outside, down the hill by the waterfall. Oh did I mention my friend and her husband met playing the online game way back when?  Yeah they got married 16 years ago. Did I mention her daughter married his son?  No they are not related.  Well they are now, by marriage. :)

Signing out with Usher, "There Goes My Baby". I wasn't trying to make this a 3 day story, but there you go. I'll finish on Friday. I'll post some photos today. Brian has some more he needs to send to me. Oh yeah, Sunday afternoon we saw Guardians of the Galaxy. There is a movie theater near the hotel.  It's actually some kind of entertainment center complex area. About a quarter mile or so walk. The move and visitors has put us a bit behind on our movie viewing.    I want to see Lucy and the James Brown. Neither was showing at the Westminster AMC. :-p  And now I want to see Guardians in 3D. :-)

Have a wonderful day!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment