Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, October 3, 2014

The "My Wendell Died Yesterday", edition.

"iPad shuffled to Aerosmith, "Crazy".  I usually sleep anywhere from 3-5 hours per night. I'm finally adjusting to Las Vegas time. I guess it took longer because I'm a little (just a little!) older now.  My pattern is coming in line with how I functioned in Detroit.  This means I can stay up through Jimmy Fallon's monologue. :)  Once I fall asleep past the monologue, I sleep until the alarm goes off...at 4:00 AM.  That's fine. I'm pretty rested. Most patients on dialysis sleep few hours and/or suffer from insomnia. 

 Alejandro Sanz with Shakira, " Te Lo Agradezco , Pero No".  I woke up around 4:00 AM Thursday morning. Got my iPad and checked Facebook. I had a few private messages. One was from my Wendell's brother. The brother was keeping me updated on Wendell's condition. I let him know we'd moved to Las Vegas and he'd pass on messages for me. Wendell hadn't been able to use Facebook  for months. The brother sent me the following message on June 29, 2014...

 " His team of doctors said the cumulative effect of his disease over many years, combined with the powerful drugs he has been taking, and infections he has been fighting,  etc, has affected his other internal organs to a point that he has been declining rapidly.  They will continue to treat him, but if something happens they want us to allow them to not try to resuscitate him. Due to the damage it would do to his frail state. They  were compassionate with us and helpful and asked us to focus on him and his state vs what are hearts feel. We are processing our feelings internally and making the decision. Sitting here with Mom as she goes through the process."

...The last time we visited him, he had feeding tubes and breathing tubes. He'd also loss so much weight. It was very difficult communicating with him and he was tired. So very tired. But he was pleased we came.  We just sat with him and talked.  Finally we left and I gave him a big ole kiss.  

The Dells, "Stay".  So at 4:00 AM Thursday morning, I get on Facebook and notice I have a message from the brother. He lets me know that we've lost my Wendell.  Just days shy of his birthday.   He'd been fighting the infection since October, 2013. A year.  And I mean fought.  And there were lots of us who loved him and helped him fight.  I'd planned a taco night, at his request, for him, his girlfriend, Brian and me in March. He'd gotten out of the hospital and it looked like he was recovering. Then I lost track of him again. Brother told me he had be readmitted. The infection came back with a vengeance. 

 DeBarge, "All This Love".  I've known my Wendell since we were about 13 years old. I have so many stories and memories. I also know his family embraced me.  His mom embraced me as her daughter, as she had 3 sons. :)  Wendell was the baby.  Mom is still doing just fine. She was delighted when I was bringing food for him. Lol. We all were. Trying to get him to eat. :)

I'm sending a plant to Mom. I'm happy that he's not suffering anymore. I know he fought as hard as he could. This, my friends, is sadly one of the outcomes of kidney failure.  I hope that if I get that sick that I won't be resuscitated. 

I love you, dear friend. I'm going to miss you. 
 
My Wendell, with water bottle at the NKFM Zoo Walk, 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment