Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The "It's Been Two Months Since We've Moved, Part 1", edition.

 iPad shuffled to Steve Wonder, "You Haven't Done Nothin'".  The tickets for the Stevie Wonder concert at The MGM went on sale on Monday. I checked out the prices and seats. I can get really close seats for about $200 per ticket. And the cheap seats are $55 per ticket. I'm still debating. But I know I can't wait too long.  I can get VIP seating for $500 per person.  Brian is all in for the cheap tickets. I dunno. 

Jimmy Ruffin, "What Becomes of The Brokenhearted".  Well. I left Detroit on July 25, 2014.  Brian followed on August 8, 2014. We can finally breathe and relax. We're home.  We look back and marvel at how we got here.  I'd been trying to get to Las Vegas for a while. Several of my friends knew we'd planned on moving to Las Vegas  before I got sick.  The kidney failure apparently just temporarily delayed the move. 

Will Downing, "I Try".  Let's review the last 3 years or so. December 2011, my mom fell and never walked again. In January 2012, Dad had hip replacement surgery. It seemed I spent most of January and February in Las Vegas to be with my parents.  My brother also came out to help.  I was also in the throes of kidney failure...unbeknownst to me. I hurt, wasn't eating, was perpetually tired and was using a cane.  I couldn't stay out there. I still had a family and a job back in Detroit. But a wonderful and understanding family...and job.  :)  

Maxwell, "Ascension (Don't Ever Wonder)".  Dad didn't cook and was subsisting on kielbasa, salad and baked potato.  :-/     I started sending him meals by Omaha Steaks.  Mom never got better.  After I retired in July 2012, Shawn and I went to Las Vegas to spend time with Mom and Dad. We cooked  and froze enough food to keep Dad fed for about 3 months. I was trying to make plans to go out there for Christmas.  However, my kidneys finally gave up. Sigh. Mom was getting even worse. I think the last time I talked to her was early December 2012.  We're both sick. Dad and Brian are worried. Mom died in January 2013. 

Stevie Wonder, "Do I Do".  I'm worried about Dad being alone.  But I still need to get to a place to function with ESRD (End Stafe Renal Disease).  "Ain't nobody got time for that" -Sweet Brown.  I also have Shawn graduating from college. She was beyond a huge help while I was trying to deal and function with kidney failure. Instead of a party, we took her and 2 friends to Disney World.  Somehow I started planning things in spite of the kidney failure. Oh and Shawn had been accepted with a fellowship into a doctorate program at University of Illinois.  Staying sick just wasn't an option!!  I had things to do. 

We made several trips to the campus to find an apartment, went to Disney World, made more trips to move her in.  So the plan was to start the move to Las Vegas  in September 2013. But a move seemed so daunting. So, so daunting. We slowly started throwing stuff out.  A few visits to The Salvation Army. Dad is asking about when we're coming out. We did visit for Christmas. Lol. We also made a couple more trips to visit my child. In March 2014, we hired the Junk Commander to clear out the basement...4 generations of stuff and just stuff,,,like my dads poker table. But finally in April 2014 a wonderful surprise rang my doorbell!!!
 
Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock,  "It Takes Two".  Dialysis has been pretty non-eventful lately.  And that's fine. I'm bummed out because I'm not seeing the support staff as often here as in Detroit. I'd like to see the social worker again. And I haven't seen the dietician in about 3 weeks. But I am at a for profit center versus the not for profit clinic in Detroit. There is a bottom line feeling here.  I have to interrupt this rant with some Whispers,  "Don't Be Late For Love". Heh. Gonna play this when I get home and dance with Brian. Yes, I'm crazy about him. I never expected I'd love someone so much and the love just grows. No one told me about that!  I've gone off on a tangent. Sorry.  In spite of the profit stuff, the staff are nice.  And my fellow dialysis warriors are pretty ok. I'm not unhappy. :-)

Signing off with Chicago, "Call on Me".  I'll finish up this story on Friday.  Let's just say  we've settled in  and Las Vegas really is now our home and we're happy. We miss our friends and I really am not happy being so far away from my child. And you just know I'll find a way to visit her.  And we're getting used to some of the difference between Nevada and Michigan. But...we are home. :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment