Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, September 27, 2013

The "Go Tigers, But Please Don't Choke", edition.

Ipod shuffled to "Knights in White Satin", The Moody Blues. I thought this was such a pretty song. Still sounds good to me, but it sure is a song of the 70's. :-)   I've been a baseball fan and specifically the Tigers since I can remember. On the porch at night listening to games with my dad.  Or on a road trip falling asleep to a game. My grandfather taking us to twinight double headers at what he called "Briggs" Stadium" .  Remembering the 1968 Tigers, Willie Horton, Earl Wilson, Mickey Lolich.  The first date I had with Brian was early in the 1984 season. The Tigers were playing Cleveland. The game the night before went into a lot of extra innings. They won and they won the game we attended. Brian and I attend many games that summer.  Remember Willie Hernandez?  "Don't Be Late for Love", The Whispers. Another "look for my slow dance partner song".  ;-)

During one of the 1984 World Series games, we parked near the Chrysler Freeway and Jefferson and "strolled" to Tiger Stadium on Trumbull and Michigan. I think our original destination was American Coney Island. Lol. When arrived at the stadium, there was a party going on. Lol. People milling about. There was a limousine parked on Trumbull with a TV on top to watch the came in addition to a photographer taking pictures, for a price, of folks in front of the limo.  While we were there, Kirk Gibson hit a home run.   The crowd got bigger and rowdier.  We decided to stroll back to the car. By the time we got home, the Tigers had won the World Series!!!  Lol and a mini riot started around the stadium.  We were pretty smug about reading the crowd and getting the heck out of there. :-)   "Lala Means I Love You", The Delphonics. Another 70s's R&B classic. "Let me hold you in my arms and thrill you with my charms ".  

Once married, we attended quite a few games.  One time I got tickets on 3rd base. We got caught in a hail of Lance Parrish hits. Forget about catching one of those rockets, we were ducking. Lol. Once we had seats on right field. I could reach out and touch Dave Winfield (swoon...and yeah Brian knew. Lol).  The year the Pistons were in the playoffs..early 1990's. People brought portable TVs to the Tigers game. We were watching both a Pistons game and the a Tigers game. The Tigers weren't doing so good and it looked like the Pistons were the better team that night. We decided to leave. As we got to our car on the other side of the freeway, we heard a massive cheer from the stadium.  Turned on the radio when we got in the car. Alan a Trammel had hit a grand slam. :-/. The Tigers won.   We missed it.  So let's add insult to injury. Got home to watch the Pistons lose. Lol. :-(

I'll miss Tiger Stadium. The ramps seemed to go on forever.  It always smelled like stale beer, but I have these memories.  The first time we went to Comerica Park, we got Tiger Den tickets. Wow!  What a difference!  Comfortable chairs, with a little table between us to put your stuff on.  A server to take orders. And a brunch buffet in a dining room.  Now we didn't always get Den seats, but they sure were a treat!  

I wanted to attend a game this summer, as I started feeling better, but we just never got around to it.  So we may not be listening to the games on the back porch, but we have a good time watching them in the recliner on the TV. Lol. So "Go Tigers". Let's get through the playoffs!

No comments:

Post a Comment