Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, September 23, 2013

The "It's Monday and I'm Back at Dialysis", edition.

iPod set on The Dramatics (no surprise there), "Fall in Love, Lady Love". This song was on that album that I played the grooves off. :-)   <3.  Friday, I got a flu shot. The nurse was peddling the shots the previous week.  I wasn't allowed the shot at that because I had the cold. This time I got. I was tickled when she came to the module and asked if anyone wanted a shot and everyone said yes. Dialysis patients are prone to infections and anything else floating around.

When I was in the hospital it seemed as if every nurse on every shift was trying to give me a flu vaccination and a pneumonia vaccination. I was bombarded with so much information AND I was trying to wrap my head around "kidney failure and dialysis".  I declined all vaccinations. I could tell the nurses wanted to lecture me  -lol. But they didn't. For my part, the last (and only time) I had a flu shot, I got the flu. 24 hours after the shot my temperature went up, I got nauseous and could barely move. Of course this was in 1976. Lol. Never got another flu shot after that. 

By the time I hit the dialysis center in November 2012, the nurses accosted me about flu shots. I smiled and said no thank you.  Finally one did lecture me and made me see the error of my ways. I was ready for the shot, but one came by after that. Lol. 

So I got the flu vaccination in my right arm, because my left arm has the life saving, life sustaining, life giving, arm scarring fistula. Cannot sleep on it, cannot take blood pressure on it, cannot insert an IV in it, cannot put pressure on it.  Getting the shot was fine. I've been stuck, pricked and poked ( get yer mind out of the gutter, I'm speaking in a medical sense!!) so many times that needles don't faze me...much.  It was the after math of the injection. My arm hurt.  Like someone socked me in the arm. I felt bruised. So I couldn't lay on my right side all weekend, and the left side was out because of the fistula. I managed. It is just a nuisance now, and I'm vaccinated. :-).  "Door to Your Heart"  The Dramatics. The harmonies and the arrangement....close your eyes and get lost in the music. 

The other thing was the upgrade of Apple's IOS.  I updated it on Saturday, rather than Friday.  I didn't want to be without the iPad if for some reason the upgrade had an issue. Well, on Saturday morning I checked the iPad. Mission accomplished. :-)  The IOS is different enough that I have to look for stuff and even if I've "it", I haven't committed "it" to memory. 

Signing off with...The Dramatics, "Fell For You".  "Your kisses make me dizzy in the head".  Lol. Temptations indeed. No contest!  Photos of fistula when I first started it, and fistula now.  Yes Im mutilated, but what's a girl to do?  


No comments:

Post a Comment