Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, September 9, 2013

The "Don't Park or Stand At A Handicap Ramp", edition.

iPod shuffled to Stevie Wonder, "Superwoman". 1973? I recalling hearing this on WDRQ. 40 years ago. Do you ever marvel at saying you remember something from that long ago?  This morning, as Brian dropped me off at the center, there were two cars in front of us. The car immediately in front dropped off a gentleman using a rollator. What's a rollator, you ask?  It's a walker with wheels. Anyway, the ramp was blocked by the first car. I get really pissed about stuff like that, especially coming from where I've been. The gentleman attempted to step up on the curb, but was unsuccessful.    :-(   I looked for a non-patient when I got in. I pass four modules to get to my chair, but I didn't see anyone. That was so fricking rude. The only people showing up at this place at this time of the morning are dialysis patients. And quite a few have mobility issues. If you or your passengers need the ramp, assume others do.

It's an interesting mix of people here. I don't even try to guess the ages of people. Brian won't give it a shot either. I think I look younger than I am, but that's just vanity speaking ( and I'm not talking about Prince's Vanity...rim shot ). "Bring It On Home To Me", Sam Cooke (and Lou Rawls). The song has been recorded by 20 artists. I won't even hazard to guess why people have mobility issues. Some look like strokes. Different levels of amputees.  Canes, walkers, wheelchairs. More men than women.  Even when I got treatment out of town, there were more men than women.  

Within the first month in-center, I was bombarded with information. Did I want a transplant? You're a good candidate for home dialysis. We'll supply the machine and chair. Or you can do peritoneal dialysis. You need to get the catheter out. This is a list of what you can and cannot eat. What are you injecting in my access line? Iron.  We're taking blood today. Here's your report from the first day. Your PTH (parathyroid) levels are high, but don't worry. Well give you some pills for that. Your phosphorus levels are high. Have some pills. "I Just Want To Be", Cameo. Chair dance...and try not to sing to loud. Lol. 

I tried to do everything. Thanks to my vascular surgeon for having me put the brakes on.  "Virtual Insanity", Jamiroquai. Great video!  Ha. My life was virtual insanity at that time. Lol. Oh, the dietician just came by with my monthly report (card). I got a star for the 2nd month. My PTH, phosphorus, albumin, potassium, calcium, and URR are all normal. Yay!!  I will be transitioning to home dialysis. Brian will be my care partner.  We'll both will have to learn how to cannulate (stick the needles in me).   I'll be doing this until I get a transplant.  Oh yeah. It was my social worker who contacted University of Toledo to start the process to get on the Ohio transplant list.  

I promise I'll detail the difference between home hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis on the near future!  Signing off with The Dramatics (no surprise there- lol) "Welcome Back Home". This song highlights Ron's voice and the fabulous harmonies. Enjoy your day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment