Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, November 8, 2013

The "The Affordable Care Act Will Save My Life. Literally", edition.

iPad shuffled to Heatwave, "Always and Forever". 1977. Anyone remember the really long version?  So I'm one of those City of Detroit retirees whose health benefits are going away.  I'm not even going to address what may or may not happen to our pensions.  We'll have to wait and see what happens.  As far as the health benefits, the City is giving general city employees a (taxable) stipend of $125 a month. We can use it for whatever we wish.  Of course it's suggested that it is a stipend for health care, but whatever.  Retired police and fire get $200 a month. I won't into detail for spouses of retired employees who are deceased (rage rage rage).

We (retirees) got letters from the City in late October to attend meetings explaining what's going on. The meetings are within a week of receiving the letter. If you're out of town you're  screwed.  I actually get my letter after Brian (wtf???). He attends last Monday, we both attend the last of three sessions on Friday, the last day of the sessions. We arrived.  There were still a lot of people from the previous session. No one looked happy. These were retirees.  Recent retirees.  Retirees from 10, 20 years plus.  The consultants (aplenty) and one City employee went over mostly medicare enrollment. 

{Breathe}.  "Outkast featuring Scar", Morris Brown. It also features the Morris Brown College Brown marching band. Video also features Janelle Monae. Liked this the first time I heard it. :-)   Ok, back to the nonsense. Lol. Waiting for the blood pressure machine to indicate that pressure is rising. while I'm typing. Retirees over 65 seemed to be ok. Those of us not there are urged to go to Healthcare.com and purchase a policy..."here's $125(taxable) a month to help ya'".  The City even gave us a number of a navigator group to help us. What's a navigator?  Apparently there  are groups approved by the state to assist consumers yo navigate the healthcare site and marketplace.  Yeah..thanks. 

My concern.  How does this affect me and my ESRD?  We are on a fixed income. At least I can't be denied because of a pre-existing illness.  Well I find out that people with ESRD are officially disabled and I qualify for Medicare.  Of course now I have to navigate Medicare Parts A,B, and D..not sure if there is a C. Lol. Whee...iPod shuffled to the Whispers....wait for it..."Mind Blowing". Yes! Yes!  All this stuff is mind blowing.  We've got to have this all done by December 15.  To maintain dental and vision, that needs to be done by November 20.  Lol. I'm stressed as I type. 

Well I got my paperwork from the dialysis center proving I have ESRD and went to the (way closer than I realized) Social Security office. I was signed up on the spot. Medicare (Part B coverage) takes effect November 15. The entire thing was a whirlwind. The other parts take effect in February, but anything related to ESRD, and mostly everything does, is covered.  Huge relief.  

Now you may ask why is ESRD is categorized as a disability.  One word.  Dialysis. The cost of dialysis is pretty steep.  When it was first realized and used to treat kidney failure, there was basically a a lottery of who'd get the treatment if one could not afford it.  Otherwise failed kidneys equaled a death sentence.  It was treatment for the rich.  In 1973, via the legislature and Medicare, dialysis was available to all who needed it.   Of course the Republicans want to decrease coverage, but that's another story for another day, and I have enough rage for a while. ;(  

"Kiss From a Rose", Seal.  Such a pretty song. His vocals are perfect. But I don't know any more of his music. So we're navigating this process. It was unexpected, but we're doing what we need to do.  Our financial advisor has gathered navigators and will work with his clients on how this effects us and give us options. So last week we were fretting and stressed.  Today, it's looking a lot better. :-)  Of course I'll keep you updated.  

Signing off with a Jill Scott-palooza..   " So in Love", Jill with Anthony Hamilton. Two strong voices that just go so well together...plus I like to sing the song to Brian (blush).  The 2nd Jill song is "Shame", featuring Eve and the A Group. "I'm a queen on the throne.  I'm magnificent". Hey!!!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment