Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The "I Went to a Piano Store. I Liked It. A Lot", edition.

iPod shuffled to Young MC, "Bust A Move".  "Got no money, you got no car, then you got no women, and there you are". Head bobbing hip hop. :)  Dialyzing on Tuesday.  I'm so confused. Lol. At least there are some familiar faces. Came in looking for the remote control.  They upgraded the tvs to cable. So of course someone stole ALL of the remote controls. :-/  Really?  REALLY?  My tech gave us all remotes that worked before cable. Now all they do is control the tv, but not the cable box. So I can turn on the tv, but I'm stuck with whatever channel it's on.  And I'm having an infomercial/palooza. I've got Cindy Crawford telling me about Dr Sebaghs melons.  I can buy the skin care system for the low price of $119!!!  I better get on that!!!  Oh, too bad I can't get to my credit card. Darn <snicker>.

And on Sunday, a guy on the shift after mine had to be taken to the hospital. His blood pressure dropped to 50/23. WTF?  Again, how is that even possible? :-(  The Dramatics, "Fall in Love, Lady Love".  /swoon.  Anyway, I'm hoping he gets better and we see him back here soon. He was cognizant  when EMS arrived. I told him to take care and be strong. A new guy was sitting next to him quietly freaking out. Welcome to dialysis.  iPod on jam..."So In Love With You", Jill Scott with Anthony Hamilton. <whisper> I'd sing this to Brian <3.  

Ok, the piano store. Why was I there?  Well Brian has been taking piano lessons and his recital was yesterday!  When I entered the store, it felt like magic!!  All those pianos. I had piano lessons for 12 years and never played again after I graduated from high school.  And yes I have a grand piano in my living room. But seeing all the pianos was a thing of wonder. Lol. And the I passed the case holding all the music. OMG, the memories came rushing back. John Thompson books, Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics. JS Bach, Beethoven, Debussy, Dvorak, Heller, Rachmaninoff and others. I was visibly excited.  Lol. Brian had to steer me to the recital area. But we passed pianos of all sizes and types and keyboards.  When it was time to go, I caressed pianos on the way out.  :)

The recital room was a nice size room with a stage. There were 6 different types of keyboards up there. Lol. They looked like 21st century organs. :)  Several people were practicing. So now I'm old school piano. The people had on their headphones while they were playing, so yeah, that's how 10 people can take "piano" lessons at the same time.  Lol lol. I think about 20 people performed for us. Brian asks me and Shawn if we're ok sitting through a recital for beginners. Well first of all, we're there to support him. But then, people, strangers, sat through my recitals for 12 years. Of course I'll stay and I'll enjoy it!!  Shawn had lessons as a child and she agreed.  I told him it had been payed forward and it was my turn. And let me tell you, it was a delightful treat!!

Stevie Wonder, "Do I Do".  The arrangement, the instruments, the vocals...a perfect song!!!  All of the students were retirees. They played from their books on these electric pianos.  So in my time, the left hand played an accompanying note or chord. These students played programmed chords. Lol. So the songs took on a jazz flavor, or country, or pop, or whatever was programmed in there. They played the same 5-6 songs. ..."Love Me Tender,", " When the Saints Go Marching In", "Music Music Music (Put Another Nickel in the Nickelodeon",  "Jingle Bells" and a few others.  The programmed chords gave each person a personalized song. :-)  There were flawless performances, there were jitters and stage fright. Most songs were recognizable. And no matter what, everyone completed their song.  And everyone received hearty applause. :-). And of course Brian was magnificent. He is now called Maestro. :-). And yeah, he signed up for the next class.  What makes him special is, he practiced on a traditional piano and had to transfer that to an electric keyboard with those chords. Well played, Brian. :)

Lol. That was long. But it had to done!!  I'll be back after Thanksgiving. Enjoy your day. I know I will. :-). Signing off with "Sexy Mama", The Moments ( who morphed into Ray, Goodman and Brown).  One of those songs from high school that made us blush. I wonder if it got played at any of our school dances?  I'll ask some of my classmates. ;)

Have a great holiday!!  







1 comment:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed your blog as usual! A safe and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, my friend. God Bless. XOXO

    ReplyDelete