Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, November 11, 2013

The "Today is My Mom's Birthday", edition.

iPod shuffled to Isaac Hayes, "Never Can Say Goodbye". ...and why would you want to?  :)  Look, it must be something cosmic that aligns my songs with my thoughts. I don't know why, and I'm not going to question it. Anyway, this version is the grown up, sexy version versus Michael Jackson.  I like both versions.

Today my mom would have been 89. I had her for a long time and I'm more than grateful. I was her only child. Sometimes I felt smothered by her, but I didn't like sharing her either. Even with Dad. Lol. Her last 13 months were pretty rough. She was diagnosed with Dementia and Failure to Thrive. She stopped eating and was afraid of falling, so she never walked again.  That was pretty rough to take. I'd seen the dementia creeping in for about 5 years. Every now and then we'd have some odd behaviors. I'd seen it over time because I'd go months without seeing her.  Dad sees it in retrospect. 

Sideshow, "Blue Magic".  "So let the. sideshow begin..."   Another group with smooth harmonies.  Anyway, my mom. She was proud of her age. Even last year, she'd been bedridden for 11 months and was weak and could barely talk.  One of the last conversations I had with her, on her 88th birthday. She said, "Patsy, I'm 88 today!" .  I told her I wanted her to make it to 89. :)  

November 11, 2012, my mom was in a nursing home in Las Vegas, I was in Detroit, 2 days just out of the hospital, with chronic kidney failure. We're trying to comfort each other.  She stopped talking in December.  I didn't get a chance to see her before she died. She died 2 weeks before I was able to get to Las Vegas.  I tried. I was still using the walker. I still had the chest catheter.  I was still crashing after treatment. Sitting for extended periods wore me out. Everything wore me out. I was having issues with my fistula.  My doctors, nurses and techs worked with me. I was able to make reservations for February. She died January 30, 2013. 

I have great memories and am proud to be the daughter of Frances. I have no doubt she loved me. She'd tell me that her mother was a great woman. I always disagreed.  Lol. My mom was better than her mom!  Lol. Shawn's middle name is a combination of the names of my mother and grandmother. Oh yeah, my grandmother's birthday is November 12.  

I miss my mom, but I always smile when I think of her.  The strongest memory I have is how much she loved me. 

Enjoy your day and thank all the veterans you know :)   Signing off with ....nothing.  I clotted during my treatment. Got stuck 5 times. My blood pressure dropped so I crashed. I just got taken off and on my way the hospital for a sonogram. I got 1 kilo off instead of my 2.5 kilos. Let's see where this goes.  I'm sure all will be well. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Your mom was a wonderful person. She was so strong, yet so gentle. She reminded me a lot of my mom. We are SO blessed to have had the moms that we had. Nothing but beautiful memories. Your mom would be very proud of the strong woman you have become.

    ReplyDelete