Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, November 18, 2013

The "The School Near the Dialysis Center is Closed. Uh Oh", edition.

iPod shuffled to Common, "I Want You". Kerry Washington is in the video. The vocals are pretty good.  And as usual, Common tells a story in his music.  So windy last night. Lights blinked a few times. Cable reset a few times. Thankfully, we didn't lose power.  Watching the news this AM, I saw the school across the street from the dialysis clinic was closed. I didn't get a call, so off I go. We passed neighborhoods where there was no power. Clinic is open.  I believe that we'd have received a call if the clinic lost power.  Oh yeah, the neighborhood is lit up. Not sure why the school is closed.

"Last Night", Diddy, featuring Keyshia Cole. This song makes me chuckle. Keyshia sounds like she's singing a half note off. And well, I think Sean Combs is useless, but that's another story for another day.  Anyway, after it's all said and done, I like Keyshia Cole. :)   

It's so hard to limit my fluid intake.  40 ounces a day. ;-(  A Forty Ounce is all I get. Lol. Like only one Old English 800 is all I get for the day. (Put in perspective for ya!).  Five 8 ounce glasses a day. Here's the thing. Nothing is 8 ounces anymore. Most liquid serving sizes (glasses, bottles and cans) are 12, 16  or more ounces.  I asked a server about the glass size. You'd have thought I was speaking greek. Lol.  Think about the size of water bottles. The most common size is 16.9 ounces.  

Solange, "I Decided, Pt 1". Beyoncé's sister is talented also, but man, Beyoncé casts a huge shadow. Also remember that 40 ounce limit includes food. Soup, fruits, vegetables. Heh, melons and grapes are on the caution list. Actually melons are discouraged. But every once in a while some watermelon, honeydew or cantaloupe is what you need!!  Lol. My Honeycrisp apples are juicy as hell. I will not be denied!  Yeah, ok, I talked with my dietician about it. Lol. As always, everything in moderation. :).  I love cider, and limeade is to die for.  Strawberry lemonade...sigh.  Well, the good news is I'm not a soda drinker. :)   But you do need a Vernors every now and then. And a small glass of white wine.....

Ok, back to reality.  Also, I need to avoid things that will make me thirsty. How do you avoid the warm weather. <pout>. This includes my beloved mexican food. Spicy stuff. Chinese food. Lol. Dialysis patients whine a lot. Sometimes I feel so parched. Sip water, suck on an ice cube. Snoop Dog, "Who Am I (What's My Name)". Yeah, it's the explicit version. Lol. The song would be nothing but beeps otherwise. Funkadelic and George Clinton are strong in this one.  On top of this, some of the meds we get makes us thirsty. Bah.

So we soldier on. Trying to control fluid intake. We do retain fluid. I've seen people coming to treatment with their faces quite swollen. Lol. Our bodies will tell on us. It screams "Fluid Retention", like the Lost in Space robot. Lol. "Danger, danger, warning, Will Robinson".  The nurses poke and squeeze us looking for excess fluid. Sometimes the retention isn't obviously visible. They listen to our insides, too. I'm cool with that. Remember, I was retaining fluid in my lungs. :(

So after all is said and done and whining, I'm making it work. I have to. Lol. So far today, I had a 6 ounce glass of water to take my 3 phosphorus binders (the monster pills) and my hypertension med and my vitamin. I had sip of coffee.  I've cut down the morning coffee and opt for it at breakfast after dialysis. :). And techs are not above fussing at us.  They're pretty good at.  Lol. Judgey McJudgers.  Lol. 

Have a great day. Hope you have power. Signing off with Teena Marie, "Potuguese Love". Love this song. Love her voice. Great arrangement.

No comments:

Post a Comment