Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Sunday, November 24, 2013

The, "Dialyzing on Sunday, But It's All Good", edition.

Ipod shuffled to Big Daddy Kane, "I Get The Job Done". "I work, baby". Hip hop.  Get the party started!    Brian introduced me to Big Daddy Kane. And yeah, my head is bobbing. Holiday dialysis schedule in effect. Several minor issues with the holiday schedule. And they are really minor.  First, my tech isn't here on these off days. We can get over that, but I didn't see any of my backup stickers this morning. My chair neighbor whose been having issues with his fistula for the last month was getting stuck by a stick team member I didn't recognize. After thinking about it for 30 seconds, I went looking through the clinic for someone I trusted.  I found one and asked her to come and stick me. By the way, my neighbor's stick didn't go. He gives it one time. He left with a "Cya Tuesday".  After my 5 stick day, I'm a 1-2 stick woman!

Run (I'm a Natural Distaster), Gnarls Barkley. This was my intro to CeeLo Green.  My other issue, and it's really a non-issue, is my TV schedule is off.  I watch the NBC station the entire time. Local news then seque into The Today Show, and finally about 10-15 minutes into Rachel Ray.  Today, I'd have way too much local news, and Today won't come on until 9:00. :-/  However, if this is one of my complaints, it really IS a nonissue. Lol. So what am I watching?  I'm having a Golden Girls marathon. 
:-)  Thank you, TVland. Although while typing, I'm listening to the iPod.....and typing.  I can multitask, but adding watching  TV while typing and listening is a bit too much for even me!  

Yesterday, I went to my see Wendell. He's doing so much better. He's eating and doing his physical therapy. That was a helluva infection.  He's ready to go home, which means he's over the hump and will be a willing participant in his recovery.  I so get being so sick that basic functioning is a huge effort.  He's coming back. He requested some more of my chicken salad. :)  "Sun Goddess" , Ramsey Lewis and Earth, Wind, and Fire. This is a signature song from my freshmen year at UM. <smile>. 

So you may be wondering how the City's bankruptcy is affecting us. Well, for sure it's been an adventure. I'm raging less, but I still do plenty of rage. Here's the thing. All of my dialysis care is covered.  Even my travel. We have reasonable copays. We're both covered by Brian's plan...until February 28, 2014. The City will give employees $125 / month (taxable) to purchase insurance on the healthcare marketplace.  If you've checked it out, the plans that would work for us, or are comparable to what we have know, cost more than what the City will give us....And with the possible cut in the pension checks (maybe around 25%), that means our "take home" pay is significantly cut.   We'll be ok, but here's the rub. This will happen to people who've been retired for 10 years or more, but their monthly pensions are small.  We're looking at people who get $1000 per month. So the $1000 / month gets knocked down to $750 /month.   But let's add in the $125 so were at $875. They will probably be eligible for the subsidy, but will be subject to the copays and deductibles. And you know, older people get sick. This sucks so much.  I'm stopping now because of the rage.  My blood pressure may spike.  I'll continue next time. 

Rick James, "Give It To Me Baby". The bass is strong in this one. Brian and I were trying to figure out our intro to bass. We discussed Parliament and Funkadelic. I decided I was hooked with Larry Graham of Sly and the Family Stone. I bought that first album around 1968. I heard funk, and I never looked back. :)

Have a great day and stay warm. Signing off with "Crazy on You", Heart. The guitar intro is nice.  I love their voices. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I smiled when I read your story. Thanks!

    I am a very, very hard person to draw blood from, put IV in. I have literally been tortured by well meaning nurses and phlebotomists. At the local clinic I have my own phlebotomists, which is fine because the other one's groan and run when they see me. Barb is older, been doing 25 years. She sticks me first time, every time.

    Love your routine. I have OCP, so I definitely like order and routine.i hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete