Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The "We Made it to the End of the Year", edition.

iPod shuffled to "This Place Hotel", The Jackson's. I like the arrangement. Well, it's the end of 2013. We made it. I started out using a walker.  I was passing out after treatment. My mom died in January.  But wait!  Progress started. I took my first trip in February.  I used the cane because I hated the walker. Lol.  Vanity had a huge part in my recovery.  The walk from the airport transport to the wheelchair area was the longest walk ever!!  Shawn got accepted to a PhD program with a fellowship. We took a trip to Champaign, Illinois to help her get an apartment. I started the process to get on a transplant list.  I reconnected and got together with friends from elementary school!

"Shake It Off", Mariah Carey.  "Like the Calgon commercial..."  I got the catheter taken off my neck.  Shawn graduated from Wayne State University, cum laude. Frances would have been so proud. We were able to tell her about the acceptance to the PhD program. :-)  I planned and had an open house for Shawn. I walked in a walkathon for the National Kidney Foundation. Raised over $400. Thanks so much to my sponsers!  

Took a  6 day trip to Disney a World.  Had a ball. Went to the water park!  Got put on a transplant list. Enrolled in water aerobics, took several day trips around Michigan including Port Huron and Frankenmuth. Went back to Champaign to help Shawn move. Twice. Lol.  Tossed the cane!!  Missed Dad so we went back to Vegas. Got selected and trained to be a peer mentor to other dialysis patients.  Went back to Vegas to spend Christmas with my family. Fixed a massive spread, with assistance from Brian and Shawn. "California My Way", The Main Igredient. Cuba Gooding's voice is so smooth and distinctive.  And through  it all. I NEVER missed a treatment.  Had dialysis in Orlando, Florida, Champaign, Illinois, and 3 times in Las Vegas.  Lol. The last time at the airport,  the walk from ground transport to the wheelchairs was a piece of cake. Now I'm still to wobbly and slow to make it to the gates without assistance, but one day...  Anyway, the stamina levels have made leaps and bounds.  

I can go to stores without using the scooters. I don't even lean on the carts when shopping anymore.  Early on, I didn't have the stamina to shop for more than 10 minutes. I'd have to go back to wait in the car. And even getting to the car was dicey. Now, I go by myself...when I can escape my helicopter husband. Lol. 

My friends and family have played an immeasurable role in my recovery. I can't thank everyone enough for the love, support and encouragement. The comments on Facebook and the blog let me know you care and understand. 

Thank you for being there this past year. I love you all. Have a safe and wonderful New Years Eve.  I'll be back next year (Friday-lol). Signing off with, Kem, "You're On My Mind".

No comments:

Post a Comment