Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The "Christmas Eve and I'm Dialyzing", edition.

iPod shuffled to Blue Magic, "What's Come Over Me". Another Thom Bell group. Well it's Christmas Eve and I'm at dialysis. Like I've been on other holidays.  The holidays where my centers close are Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day. All other holidays are dialyzing days. After all, we need our artificial kidneys.  So of course I get here nice and early and on time and there's a problem with the water.  Water is a nessicity in the functioning of the dialysis machines. No water. No dialysis. The problem was fixed about 1/2 hour after my chair time was to start. Merry Christmas Eve!! Yeah well, a 1/2 hour isn't to kill me. The corn and potato salad are done. Stuffing and yams today.  We're still on schedule.

A few days ago I mentioned the process of removing the needles. It seems the techs and nurses all have their own methods, within the protocols. The machine is stopped, to stop the blood flow.  The 1st needle out is the last needle in and the last needle out is the 1st needle in. "Georgy Porgy", Eric Benet' featuring Faith Evans.  Cool video. The tech gets a few gauze pads and folds them up. Some put an alcohol square on the folded gauze. My skin has been reacting to so much alcohol lately, so I've requested betadine. Anyway, the first needle is carefully pulled out and the gauze is applied with pressure. Making sure that the needle hole is covered. This is important...covering the hole.  Lol.  Once the tech is confident that the gauze is in the right place, we transfer off so I can apply the pressure. Oh yeah, before this process begins, the but a sterile glove on my right hand....so I can apply pressure to the left arm. 

This is the fun part.  Guessing when the bleeding stops. Guess too soon, and it's a gusher!   Heh, when I first started with the smallest needles, I peeked and the blood spurted up!  I was startled and my tech laughed. :)  Now with larger established holes, it can be a pretty impressive flow. Once the flow stops, I apply the band aids then call the tech over to take the last needle out and repeat the process.  That's one way.  I've had techs take out both needles at the same sitting. They tape the gauze to my arm applying pressure with the tape and I'll still apply additional pressure with my fingers.  The bleeding stops anywhere from 5-30 minutes. Since getting the buttonholes, the bleed out is about 5 minutes per buttonhole.  Lol. So close to leaving, but gotta wait for the bleeding to stop.  They give us gauze alcohol and band aids or tape, though, for those just in case of "issues" once we leave. 

"Whip It", Devo. Imagine how tickled we were when we found out Mark Motherbaugh of Devo wrote the music for Rugrats.  Lol.  Christmas Eve is my parents anniversary. They would have been married 58 years today. <3  December events, Shawn's birthday, 12-12, my birthday, 12-17, the anniversary, 12-24 and Christmas, 12-25.  One big celebration!  :-)

Photo of the two needles for reference. Signing off with "Crazy on You", Heart. Oh yeah, check out James Brown's version of "The Christmas Song".   ;-)   Have a great holiday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment