Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, December 2, 2013

The "It's Always Something, But It's OK (It Has To Be), edition.

iPod shuffled to "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted", Jimmy Ruffin.  That's a classic, isn't it?  Good sing along song, too. You know, the song you sing at the top of your lungs when you're alone in the car. ;-)   Well that was a nice long weekend. My kid arrived in town on November 21 (our wedding anniversary...how was that fior a gift!!). She left to go back to Champaign on Saturday, November 30. It sounds like that was a long visit.  But time flew. I'd tell you she stayed about 2 hours before she to leave.  Lol. Ah well, she got her birthday presents early.

I think I'm dealing with kidney failure pretty well, but it's just always there. I feel like I'm being denied water.  So of course that's all I want. No coffee, no soda, no juice, just a big honking glass of ice cold ice water. Unlimited quantities. I get over it. I know.  I've whined about this before. Jill Scott, "A Long Walk".  Loved her the first time I heard her.  I'm also having a mild issue with my fistula button holes. The bottom access, the arterial, is fine, beautiful, just great. The top access, the venous, is my problem child. :-(  It runs for while, then the pressure goes up.  By the time I'm finished, the buttonhole is leaking.  The nurse says it sounds like I'm clotting at the needle. She increased the heparin (blood thinner) for the last hour of the run. Hope it works (crosses fingers).   You remember heparin.  I got injected with it several times a day when I was in the hospital in ICU. The injection I got in my stomach. To prevent clots since I was confined to the bed.  And no, it didn't hurt. 

I'm thinking my pain tolerance is pretty high. I winced while I waited for the injection in my stomach. Lol. It was nothing.  I get stuck with 2 needles 3 times a week. No big deal. In addition to the needles, the scabs on my buttonhole have to be removed.  Each tech who has removed the scabs is concerned that it hurts...but it doesn't. Mary J Blige, "Take Me As I Am". It took me years to warm up to Mary. The young women at my hip hop hair salon loved her. To get the flavor of the salon, they loved to watch "Menace to Society".  Lol. My hairdresser had most of us ("mature" customers) come in on Sunday. Lol.  If I say more, I'll sound really judgey and they were really nice young ladies. Interesting to see the, as 40+ women now. 

Last night I had breathing issues.  Not emergency room worthy, but every now and then I had to take deep breaths. Yep, directly related to fluid retention. I'm confused. I pee a lot, so how am I still retaining enough fluid to affect my breathing?  It could be that I had 1 dialysis session between Tuesday  and today.  Dialysis on Tuesday, Friday, and now today. Lol.  And it was during a holiday.  Oh, I tried a piece of ham. I hadn't had any in over a year. OMG.  It was delicious. Honey Baked ham.  And it was quite salty.  Lol. No more for me. Probably why I was thirsty on Friday.  No more ham for me. Well, maybe 1 slice next year.  We'll call it a yearly treat. :).  Dionne Warwick, "Walk On By", 1964. 50 years ago. I also like the Isaac Hayes version. I need to download that. Lol. Looking on Wikipedia, there are 12 versions of the song!!

Well, today, I have to investigate Medicare gap coverage.  Medicare covers all expenses related kidney failure, but only 80% of other medical expenses.  Signing off with Kashif, "Help Yourself to My Love", 1983.   I love the vocals and arrangement.  Have a great day. Drink a glass of ice water for me!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment