Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Friday, December 27, 2013

The "It Was a Great Christmas", edition.

iPad shuffled to "I Can't Help It", Michael Jackson. Such a pretty song. Written by Stevie Wonder. I guess Stevie had a lot of songs inside. :)   So, how was your Christmas?  I last spent the holiday with my parents in 2010.  I missed 2011 because Dad was scheduled for hip replacement surgery 2 weeks after Christmas.  The plan was Brian and I would go out there and help Mom take care of Dad during his recovery. On December 24, 2011, Mom fell trying to get up out of a chair.  EMS was called and she was taken to the hospital. She ended up with a stent in her heart, was dehydrated, and wouldn't eat.  She was placed into a rehab facility for recovery, because Dad couldn't take care of her due to his bad hip.  Brian and I did make it out there in early January.

December 2012, I was recovering from kidney failure. The only places I was going was to dialysis and assorted doctors. Mom was in a nursing home.  Dad picked up a take out meal and had dinner with her.  I sent her a little Christmas tree for her room. This year, my family went to spend Christmas with Dad. Yay!  I cooked a Christmas dinner like the kind we used to have when Mom cooked. I fixed potato salad. Note, 5 pounds of potatoes is waaaay to much for 4 people. I found fresh corn, so I cooked that, off the cob.  Dad said he liked stuffing with gravy. I cooked a jumbo pan. We froze half. He wanted candied sweet potatoes.  Done. Still enough to freeze. I used 5 yams. It was a lot. Lol. My family loves macaroni and cheese.  We inadvertently made two trays. One got frozen.  Dad likes green beans.  I've mastered that, so he got that.  We made just enough. :)    Got the smallest ham and a roasted turkey breast from Honey Baked ham. It's still a lot of meat!  Had rolls, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and an apple pie. Yeah,we overshot..big time!!  I could have feed 5 more people easily.  Lol.  But he does gave a lot of frozen leftovers now. ;-)  And yes, we got this all done working around my dialysis times. 

"Tilt Ya Head Back", Nelly and Christine Aguillera.  That's a mighty big voice coming out of that tiny little lady.  Lol. Yeah, I needed to watch what I ate. Mac and cheese, phosphorus.  Potato salad, potassium.  Sweet potatoes, potassium. Ham, sodium. Ah well.  I tried everything except the ham. I had it forThanksgiving.  The results were not good.   :-(  

We got Dad a tablet.   He loves it.  The good news is we got him wireless in summer of 2012. :)   He was good to go. He's figuring out his apps.  Shawn also got him a Facebook account. He's questioning some of the Facebook nonsense, but he's learning it.  Daffy is an 87 year old techie. Lol. 

It was a quick 10 days. I enjoyed every minute.  I was with my family.  And I'm functioning just fine with ESRD...at the moment.  I'm still dying, but I'm enjoying living right now!

Signing off with The Stylistics, "People Make The World Go Round". Another one of my favorite groups.  Lol. Have a wonderful weekend!


1 comment: