Top 25 Dialysis Blogs

Dialysis Blogs

Monday, December 16, 2013

The "It's A Quiet Monday", edition.

iPad shuffled to "Sweet Thing", Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan.  Still trying figure where Rufus went....  I was thinking about what was going on a year ago.  I was getting ready for the 2nd surgery on the fistula.  I'd had the surgery a week before.  However the original fistula clotted immediately. ;-(  I also recall the surgeon's nurse wanted me to have the staff here check the site. My tech informed me it wasn't her job. The doctor's office called me and asked how the fistula was doing and was the bandaged changed. I told her that the staff here said it wasn't their job.  I guess doc's office called. My bandaged got changed.  Sadly the fistula had to get fixed. 2 surgeries in 2 weeks. Brian and I had made plans to go out for dinner to celebrate our anniversary and my birthday.  Instead I was back at Sinai-Grace.  By this time I was real tired of the hospital. ;-(.  You know, at that time, my world was doctors and dialysis. Still using the walker.  Well, that was then.  Now I'm going to mentor dialysis patients. :-)

Aretha Franklin, "Ain't No Way". Love this song.  It highlights just how powerful her voice is.   The people who attended the class were selected by social workers at their clinics. Four of us have been on dialysis less than 18 months, one for 10 years, and one was a transplant recipient.  Our professions included teacher, nurse, chef, social worker, communications profession and technology. I thought the group was intelligent and knowledgable.  

I enjoyed being with other dialysis patients. Exchanging stories, experiences, suggestions and tips.  Learning from each other.  This doesn't occur in the clinics. People come in, turn on their TV and go to sleep. It was nice to talk with people with a shared experience and how they handle issues.  Someone brought up having support groups at the clinics.  I think that happens when you're in tthe reception area waiting for your chair.  Except first shift where we walk right on in. :-)  "When You Think of Me", Eric Benet.  "It's never to hard to make friends when you're making Benjamins".  

So I went dialysis on Saturday instead of Friday. I pretty much know or recognize most of the people on MWF on my shift and a lot on second shift. On Saturday was a bunch of people I'd never seen before. Lol. I even had a tech I'd never had. However in the module next to us was a very familiar tech.  Which was good.  She had to stick my tricky venous acces. :)

Well that's it for today. Signing off with Aretha, "I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)".  Let the kids shovel the snow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment